Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Might have made an oops

June 22nd, 2016, 7:03 pm

I've been working on a project converting an older console stereo into an updated jukebox. It will still look like it's original design but have updated hifi speaker designs built into the speaker cavities. The difficulty is power, as someone had ravaged ask components from it besides the turntable. I bought a Niles SI-275 as it was a great price and has plenty of headroom for the design in using. The difficulty is this is not a normal integrated amp. I've never had separate components and can't dump lots more money into this project. Does anyone have any cheap preamp ideas ? Would like one that would allow me to use the turntable if possible. Any suggestions appreciated

Re: Might have made an oops

June 22nd, 2016, 7:54 pm

There is a NAD preamp on eBay that looks good and they always got good reviews for the most bang for the buck.

Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NAD-C16 ... SwmtJXYL19

June 23rd, 2016, 7:15 am

I appreciate the link. I had seen that on there. Is quite a bit more expensive than I was hoping to spend. Noticed lately there is a guy in Eldersburg that is selling a lot of used gear. Hoping he might have something I can pick up for less than 100.00 dollars. This project is already over budget and the Mrs is beginning to lose her patience lol.

June 23rd, 2016, 9:34 am

Are you interested in building a very simple high performance pre?

Tom

June 23rd, 2016, 12:01 pm

I'm open to the idea. What would the cost of something like that be ? I've only built speakers and crossovers, no kind of electronics experience.

June 23rd, 2016, 12:31 pm

I would be interested always like to build

June 23rd, 2016, 12:39 pm

Why not use a simple resistive pot? The amp will probably have very high input impedance and wiring should be VERY short.

June 23rd, 2016, 1:15 pm

Does anyone have any cheap preamp ideas ? Would like one that would allow me to use the turntable if possible

Kinda rules out passive ;)

Roscoe

June 23rd, 2016, 1:47 pm

You have a point!

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Does anyone have any cheap preamp ideas ? Would like one that would allow me to use the turntable if possible

Kinda rules out passive ;)

Roscoe

June 23rd, 2016, 2:46 pm

JDCrae wrote:I'm open to the idea. What would the cost of something like that be ? I've only built speakers and crossovers, no kind of electronics experience.

Best guess not counting the housing, connectors, pot and switches around $70. I would use the AD797 or LME49710 OP Amps which are both outstanding choices.

Tom
Post a reply