DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amp wiring
PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 2:26 pm 

Seeing as there are discussions going on for interconnect and speaker wires, I would be interested in what people use in their amps.

I tend to use ordinary tin plated copper in 18 or 22 gauge for power but use IBM Type 1 wire for signal.

http://www.interstatewire.com/ibm-type-1-cabling-system.html

ray

Post subject: Re: Amp wiring
PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 4:11 pm 

I use some nice silver-clad stranded copper conductors contained in Teflon insulation. I also have solid conductor.

This stuff is especially effective with a feedback loop running from the output transformer back to the fist stage cathode.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 1:37 pm 

I've been using Cardas Litz wire for interconnect in chassis. You can get it at Handmade Electronics in PA (www.hndme.com).

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 1:55 pm 

Kimber TCSS for most wiring, either single strand for signal, and often tripled for power supply ground.
18 ga stranded silicon test lead wire for high voltage (1000V+) B+ applications for B+
Cardas Litz from the output transformer to the amp terminals.
18 ga solid core for filament wire
For high current filaments, I will use 16 ga stranded PVC appliance wire, with heat shrink applied after stripping the end to prevent meltback.
Also use 22ga copper sheet cut into 1/2" wide strips for power supply grounds.

David

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 2:02 pm 

I use Belden 1800F for all my interconnects both balanced or unbalanced. The impedance is 100 ohms which is what AES/EBU needs. It is also very flexible and has a nice matte finish which looks very professionsl. The French braid shield is very easy to work with and provides great shielding. Here is data on it:

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/1800F.pdf

When used for unbalanced lines I use the red wire for plus and the black wire for ground. I connect the shield at only one end to ground out RF.

For speakers I use 12 gauge speaker zip cord. I tried other cables but that works as well as anything.

Tom

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 2:05 pm 

tomp wrote:
I use Belden 1800F for all my interconnects both balanced or unbalanced. The impedance is 100 ohms which is what AES/EBU needs. It is also very flexible and has a nice matte finish which looks very professionsl. The French braid shield is very easy to work with and provides great shielding. Here is data on it:

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/1800F.pdf

When used for unbalanced lines I use the red wire for plus and the black wire for ground. I connect the shield at only one end to ground out RF.

For speakers I use 12 gauge speaker zip cord. I tried other cables but that works as well as anything.

Tom

I forgot to mention I generally use 20 gauge PVC insulated copper hook up wire inside the chassis unless there is high current in which case I use whatever gauge is appropriate for the current involved. Ocassionally when I'm working with a PCB and connectors I use the appropriate flat ribbon cable.

Tom

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 3:16 pm 

Generally I use PTFE insulated solid core wire in various gauges depending on the task at hand.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 3:46 pm 

Cardas Litz for critical signal applications when the construction and cost permit it.

Belden 1701LC for small signals and where the Litz wiring is very difficult (small PC eyelets for instance).

The Belden is cheap, each foot contains four twisted pairs of #24 AWG Teflon insulated solid copper wire with no silver plating. I do not like the edgy and thin sound of silver plated copper conductors typically found when using Teflon insulated conductors (solid silver is fine). Buy at least 10' and it's only $1.45/foot of cable or ~18 cents per foot of conductor. Sounds pretty smooth also.

For filaments, etc., 18 gauge Teflon insulated silver clad copper stranded. The insulation holds up to heat so very well.

For ground buses, the largest single strand copper in my box at the time. Usually #6 AWG in the big boy amps.

If cost and labor time were not issues, I'd use the various sizes of Cardas Litz wiring for everything.

https://www.hndme.com/productcart/pc/vi ... tegory=210

Cardas TTFMF!

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

I'll have some hookup wire to give away at the next meetup ;)

Roscoe