DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 1:19 pm 

I think weight and cost were the drivers for aluminum, possibly thermal conductivity as well. Microwave will only be in the copper skin anyway. That's why steel was usually good enough.

I don't doubt that magnetic characteristics come into play but nobody understands how this impacts audio. If you start digging into it, you will find that various magnetic characteristics are not either/or....there is a continuum.

But I advocate the stance that it does not matter if we know HOW something works but we can still know IF it works or not.

Don't look at the 12ga center conductor, look at the freakin shield on the Heliax? That is like a garden hose! I tried using two runs of shield as speaker cable but it wanted to pull my speakers off their stands. Sounded better than using the outer + inner though.

RG-223 shields (double layer, silver plated, high coverage) paired up are good speaker cable too.

I think you are onto something with the SHF linearity notion. This is why I checked out my large pile of microwave cables some years back. After all, a 6 gHz signal is likely to be phase modulation not AM! Delay/smear due to dielectric absorption and whatnot would be no good at all.

I found a few wires that had crazy 3-D effects, including certain Times Microwave LMR wires but the best ones in that respect had some weird tonal anomalies, I think due to copperweld centers.

Overall though, I settled on RG-223 and Aircell 7 for smooth natural tone and both had the nice copper center conductors....figured there *might* be some correlation there.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 2:40 pm 

I use M22759/11-8 wire for my speakers. It's a military 8 AWG wire 133 SILVER PLATED COPPER STRANDS PER CONDUCTOR in TEFLON JACKET. I believe this guy is using the same: http://www.decware.com/newsite/speakercables.htm. You can find it on eBay.

I have never tried any other speaker cable to compare, but it's something on my ToDo list. Perhaps I would try the Heliax wire if I can find where to buy it from.