DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 24th, 2016, 5:14 pm 

Hey All,

This might not be an audiophile question, but I figured many of you might use CAD programs either professionally, or for other reasons.

I have been documenting most of my cabinet designs on Viacad. I bought it several years ago at staples. The problem is that I bought a new computer, and when it came time to swap my software and programs from my old computer, I found out that the program doesn't work with my new operating system ( now Windows10).

I need a new program then, but I don't need an all encompassing program like TurboCad, that does all kinds of stuff I might not ever learn how to use. I really just need to do wire frame type drawings, but I do want some intuitive 3D capability with solid modeling and shading features too.

I didn't like ViaCad 3D because it wasn't that sophisticated, and I could never get my hidden lines to work properly. They looked correct on the screen, but they always printed out wrong!

I also want a program that comes with an actual paper manual, or at least has one available. I don't like getting my help online.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Chris

PostPosted: April 26th, 2016, 12:39 pm 

I was able to do some drafting with the Google Sketch-It application, but it wasn't all that easy to use (been a couple years.) It was free, though, and if I persisted I could make rotating 3D views of parts. Low-tech solution.