Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Re: Open Baffle Planar servo sub speaker project

January 27th, 2016, 1:24 pm

The second set of ChipAmps is being built and being tested for the planar OB section.

The full servo bass columns will look like this when all the 12' drivers are installed. Just four more to buy and install.
Attachments
WP_20160125_003.jpg

January 27th, 2016, 1:46 pm

Awesome!

January 27th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Stuart Polansky wrote:My electrons are bigger, stronger and faster than your electrons
!

Yeah, but mine are smarter ;)

January 27th, 2016, 3:09 pm

I took a look at the GR research drivers and that is quite an interesting 12" driver and a good value. With 18mm Xmax it has a lot of linear volume displacement although the sensitivity is just OK. WIth the amps being used, that is of no consequence. The Qts is also slightly above .7 so if you used it in any way other than what they suggest, eg a closed box the QB would also be above optimim although with a servo system you could correct the bump you would get at resonance. There is no doubt that designng a sub with either a servo or other form of electronic compensation can make it easier to get the result desired.

One statement they make in their blurb is not totally correct. They say that in order to get a low Fs you need to have a heavy cone. Actually the Fs is a combination of the cone mass and the suspension compliance. If you have a light cone and very compliant suspension you can also get a very low Fs. However, the box size will have to be large or it will have to be used without a closed box otherwise in a small box the low air compliance will raise the Fb and also the Qb to levels that may be unacceptable. Everything is always a compromise.

Tom

February 6th, 2016, 4:39 pm

The setup with the planar OB's and 4x12 servo subs.

Have all the modified ChipAmps running and setup with the digital crossover.
Attachments
WP_20160130_001.jpg

February 8th, 2016, 6:26 pm

We can almost taste it! (Did I say that out loud?)

February 8th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Guy wrote:We can almost taste it! (Did I say that out loud?)

I love the smell of sawdust in the morning. Smells like transconductance ;)

Roscoe

March 6th, 2016, 2:21 pm

The servo amp boxes are flat packs. Glued the first one up today.
Attachments
WP_20160306_002.jpg
WP_20160306_001.jpg

March 9th, 2016, 3:36 pm

The two open baffle 6x12 servo sub array's are fully operational and sounding very good!

A good day for some pipe organ music!
Attachments
WP_20160307_002.jpg

March 11th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Don't forget to tell us how they sound! That should push a lot of air around.

Do you have to worry about SAF? (Spousal Approval Factor) ;)
Post a reply