DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 2:23 pm 

Last I heard from PE was sometime in July. Nothing new since April. :confusion-confused:

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2016, 4:41 pm 

Update from PE today. The BG Neo3-PDRs ship 17 Aug.

Last I heard it was July.

Will see what happens.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2016, 4:58 pm 

How do the Neo3PDRs compare, sonically to the better Founteks, say NeoX 2.0 or NeoX 3.0?

Is it necessary to have the tweeters also in a line array and down so close to the floor, when they have such limited vertical dispersion? I mean, how would it work to just have tweeters in the "ear height" range?

I thought that controlling room reflections of treble helped with soundstaging/imaging?

Isn't the tall line of tweeters creating a problem that a fewer tweeters solves?

I really don't know, I'm just asking, because from my position of ignorance, a 30 foot tall line array of tweeters, or whatever those Megaliths are, seems counter-intuitive.

Can't wait to hear them, though!

Stuart

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2016, 5:18 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
How do the Neo3PDRs compare, sonically to the better Founteks, say NeoX 2.0 or NeoX 3.0?

Is it necessary to have the tweeters also in a line array and down so close to the floor, when they have such limited vertical dispersion? I mean, how would it work to just have tweeters in the "ear height" range?

I thought that controlling room reflections of treble helped with soundstaging/imaging?

Isn't the tall line of tweeters creating a problem that a fewer tweeters solves?

I really don't know, I'm just asking, because from my position of ignorance, a 30 foot tall line array of tweeters, or whatever those Megaliths are, seems counter-intuitive.

Can't wait to hear them, though!

Stuart

A line driver only has a cylindrical launch when the wavelengths are short in relation to the line length. When you do get that condition, it will be a cylindrical launch. If you want to then cover a relatively large vertical listening area (assuming the line is oriented in the vertical direction) the line has to extend the whole distance over which you will be listening. If you go beyond the ends of the cylinder the output will fall dramatically.

Tom

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2016, 7:55 pm 

Since I am also going for dipole radiation from the open baffle, most ribbons are not dipole. They are also large, so hard to get close together for the line array.

In the vertical dimension, the line array has a narrower beam pattern than a single driver. The line controls the room interaction with floor and ceiling.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2016, 10:54 pm 

Maggy 3's have 5ft ribbon tweeter

PostPosted: June 24th, 2016, 9:12 am 

And just to be clear -- Paul's Maggies have true ribbon, bipolar tweeters, and NOT planar tweeters such as the Neos.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2016, 9:23 am 

and IMHO are the only good part of the Maggy'
in the back of my mind for a project down the line is to build something similar to HAL's full dipole system using this ribbon.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2016, 9:28 am 

I have heard both and prefer the push-pull planar over the true ribbon.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2016, 10:30 am 

In theory the ribbon is a better driver than a planar magnetic but in practice that may not be true. I had a pair of Sequerra T1 ribbons I got from Dick but later sold them to Mark Macalmont of Mach 1 Acoustics. He ran them on his laser measuring equipment and found that the ribbon developed torsional movements when excited. Any ribbon has differences in thickness across the ribbon resulting in differences in resistance. Those result in non-linear current flow across the ribbon resulting in torsional movements that contribute to distortion. Sequerra started adding small drops of RTV at specific points along the ribbonto fasten it to the magnet and keep it under control but by fastening at the edges it was converted to a planar magnetic. The devil is always in the detail.

Tom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 40  Next