DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 7:29 am 

I actually have a few books you can borrow. If you like, I'll bring them down to DC from York next weekend, and I can bring them over to your house next week. I need to hear those speakers!!!!

Stuart

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 7:58 am 

Meanwhile, you might try this, looks fairly comprehensive.

http://101science.com/Radio.htm

Stuart

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 8:03 am 

You can probably search the Internet for "basic electronics" or "basic circuits" and get a bunch of sites. You'll have to see how helpful they are.

I don't remember the level at which Morgan Jones' book starts - maybe it's basic enough? :)

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 8:10 am 

Also try thinking of current as water (already easy) and that it has to flow from one point to another (stream or 'circuit'.) We already talk about current flow, so this helps a bit. A tube or transistor is a valve on a water pipe that allows the turn of a wrist (a small signal) to control a big flow of water (a lot of current flow.) Resistors are a narrowing of the stream (resisting the flow) that causes water to build up on one side, causing a larger amount of water on one side of the restriction than the other (voltage difference.) I'm not sure how to work capacitors and inductors into the water analogy, but we have a start.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 8:49 am 
Site Admin

:character-oldtimer:

To add to Guy's post, think of voltage as equivalent to water pressure...

Then, check this out: http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-documents/2575-2/

/ :character-oldtimer:

Roscoe

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 11:34 am 

David Berning and I have both offered to hold meetings where we delve into the electronics but got little positive response. If there are enough members that would like to do that let either of us know and we could put something together at probably two levels, beginning and advanced.

Tom

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 2:00 pm 

To all:

DIY can be liberating from the clutches of overpriced audio equipment with mediocre performance. Yes there is a lot to learn, but I have a friend that depended on me for all things electronic. He is a CPA and IT professional. After some coaching and his hitting the books, he now scratch builds electronics and speakers. He is now more rabid than I am. Another example is a musician with the BSO that hooked up with the late Walter Jung and became a rabid DIY'er and even offered CD player mods for a couple of years.

Myself -- I got hooked at a nubile age of 16 and am still going strong and still learning.

A seminar conducted by David Berning and others including Roscoe's pulled pork could be fun and informative.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 8:45 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
I actually have a few books you can borrow. If you like, I'll bring them down to DC from York next weekend, and I can bring them over to your house next week. I need to hear those speakers!!!!

Stuart

Certainly!!

Thank You!!

I just made a new manipulation to the speakers I like! Small adjustment to the sand in the stands. The last time I adjusted it was before there was marble on the bottom of them, and I thought it would be worth revisiting!

Give me a heads up which day. Thursday I'm busy, but I should be around the rest of the week! Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri.

Thanks again Stuart! I hope you like the speakers!

Chris

Last edited by Roscoe Primrose on October 14th, 2015, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Address/phone # removed at poster's request...

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 9:03 pm 

Guy wrote:
Also try thinking of current as water (already easy) and that it has to flow from one point to another (stream or 'circuit'.) We already talk about current flow, so this helps a bit. A tube or transistor is a valve on a water pipe that allows the turn of a wrist (a small signal) to control a big flow of water (a lot of current flow.) Resistors are a narrowing of the stream (resisting the flow) that causes water to build up on one side, causing a larger amount of water on one side of the restriction than the other (voltage difference.) I'm not sure how to work capacitors and inductors into the water analogy, but we have a start.

I have seen a mechanical symbol for a capacitor, but I'm not sure it's 100 percent analogous. It's a basin with two pipes entering horizontally at the top. If water enters one pipe, the basin has to fill all the way up before any water will pass out the other pipe.

The inductor I think is exactly like it looks. The same amount of energy that goes into the coil comes out the other end, but there is always a quantity that remains inside the coil. That's it's "Inductance".

I also know current (amps) is the amount of water, voltage is the speed of the water, and Wattage is a measurement of energy or "work" accomplished. I can also be measured as heat.

Fooling around with formulas is a little more complicated for me. I know how to do basic algebra, but I need tangible examples of things before I really get them. That's why I have stuck mostly with speakers, because I can approach them as an artist, and hone them with a lot of trial and error.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 9:05 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
:character-oldtimer:

To add to Guy's post, think of voltage as equivalent to water pressure...

Then, check this out: http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-documents/2575-2/

/ :character-oldtimer:

Roscoe

Thanks Roscoe!
I saved the site. I'll have to fool around with it when I have some time.

Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next