DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crap I'm Working On Now
PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 4:40 pm 

Hi All:

This is and has been mono console summer. Between about June and August I got three cool mono Hi-Fi consoles. One actually worked and is in mint condition. It's a Telefunken Empress which has their Opus 7 radio as its rig with a TW561 ceramic changer and 6 speakers: 2: 8-1/2" 2: 4" and 2: 2.8" electrostatic Ridiculously clean. The nicest old piece of Hi-Fi I've ever had. It's from 1957.

I got a Lafayette branded console with all Radio Craftsmen electronics and an Altec 600-4 driver. Very cool! All recapped and resistored and working. I don't know what to do about the RC-30 changer made by Webster. I can fix it w/ an idler and cart from V/W Gary Stork but it is missing a cosmetic trim piece. The Tuner/pre (RC-8) and amp (RC-2) are really sweet. I did a couple of cone tear repairs and it rocks. I actually had to make a new baffle board for where the speaker mounts and add grill cloth as that baffle board wasn't there. Luckily the Altec was.

The last is a Stromberg Carlson 1210 which I rebuilt the Webster 56 (78 only) changer and did a recap, two tubes and a dial string and alignment. That thing puts out a lot of sound. it is 6V6 in push pull as is the RC-2

Attachments:
te4.jpg
te4.jpg [ 68.68 KiB | Viewed 13493 times ]
te3.jpg
te3.jpg [ 59.47 KiB | Viewed 13493 times ]
te1.jpg
te1.jpg [ 67.72 KiB | Viewed 13493 times ]

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 4:44 pm 

That is AMAZING! :o

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 5:09 pm 

More pics , one more batch coming later that will include this and the S.C. in finished condition. I forgot to say on the Teklefunken that I have all paperwork including the delivery receipt to Henry Cherner and for those of you from DC yes of Cherner Lincoln Mercury. None of the paperwork included which was the owners manual, schematic, U.S. radio station guide (very cool) phonograph manual and a few other items looks like they were ever read.Perfect!

So the last story about this thing is it also had 6- 7" 78 RPM records with just an LP size hole that were recorded by the family in 1952 at a store where they had a booth and a record cutting lathe. One of the records is old Henry Cherner singing the original Cherner ad jingle. I digitized them and cleaned them up for the grandson I bought it from but he let me keep the originals.

Earl

5Y3,2-6V6, 6J6, 6SN7 in the RC-2

Attachments:
lafcon.jpeg
lafcon.jpeg [ 102.39 KiB | Viewed 13487 times ]
amprc-2.jpeg
amprc-2.jpeg [ 111.09 KiB | Viewed 13487 times ]

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 8:56 am 

Oh, oh, I need to take pictures of my radios and post them! ;)

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 8:47 pm 

Guy wrote:
Oh, oh, I need to take pictures of my radios and post them! ;)

Yes you do!

Earl

Attachments:
007.JPG
007.JPG [ 59.02 KiB | Viewed 13451 times ]
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 100.98 KiB | Viewed 13451 times ]
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 62.43 KiB | Viewed 13451 times ]