DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Advice for Bass
PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 8:45 am 

I know I'm going to be sorry for this, but I need to ask advice.

My speakers need to shrink. At 102" wide, they are taking up too much space. Height is not an issue.

My bass panels are 17" wide each, so 68" total. While I am generally pleased with the sound, if I can make these smaller, I would be able to retain the 17" wide MR/T panels, maybe even re-do them and make them a little wider with nice looking timber.

Since I am biamping, maybe triamping, matching efficiency is not an issue.

The challenge is to get fast, articulate, relatively resonance free bass as deep as practical (certainly no less than -3dB @ 35Hz) and up to around 500Hz. The stock panels rolled off at -18dB/octave, 250Hz. The MR/T panels cut off electrically at 6dB/octave @ 500Hz. I can play with slopes and XO points.

I can say that running an amp full range into the MR/T panels, with no LF cutoff does not result in noticeably more low end than with the filter in place.

So, how can I accomplish this using minimal width? Say 12"-16"? I was thinking of a line array of 8 6.5" GR Research M165.........

I was thinking of a Sonotube style bass bin, but with that configuration, around 100Hz is the upper limit.

Ideas?

Stuart

Post subject: Re: Need Advice for Bass
PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 12:45 pm 

For low frequencies, I think the Slot Loaded Open Baffle (SLOB) approach gives you a narrow front profile. I don't know if it will work all the way up to 500Hz though. A line array of 6.5 sounds like a workable solution....except it looks like you are trying to imitate Infinity Servos, which is a place that people never return from with their sanity intact.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Stuart Polansky wrote:
So, how can I accomplish this using minimal width? Say 12"-16"? I was thinking of a line array of 8 6.5" GR Research M165.........
Stuart

Are you talking a single at 12-16" or 12'16" per side?

Four of these per side: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-aud ... l--295-512 will move a LOT of air, put them on a 15" baffle. perhaps with some minimal sides kinda like my OBs, and EQ the crap out of them to make them flat down to where you need them, then a sharp high-pass filter so you don't overdrive them down where they're not doing much anyway. There's also a 15" version of that driver, that you could probably just fit on a 16" baffle, and have half again as much displacement....

Woofers are like engines, there's just no replacement for displacement ;)

Bruce is probably right about not being able to go high enough with a SLOB....

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 2:02 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Stuart Polansky wrote:
Stuart

Are you talking a single at 12-16" or 12'16" per side?

Four of these per side: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-aud ... l--295-512 will move a LOT of air, put them on a 15" baffle. perhaps with some minimal sides kinda like my OBs, and EQ the crap out of them to make them flat down to where you need them, then a sharp high-pass filter so you don't overdrive them down where they're not doing much anyway. There's also a 15" version of that driver, that you could probably just fit on a 16" baffle, and have half again as much displacement....

Woofers are like engines, there's just no replacement for displacement ;)

Bruce is probably right about not being able to go high enough with a SLOB....

Roscoe

My concern is listening to a thick cone non-servo fat sub at midrange frequencies........gotta be a sloooooow boat there. Even with a 24dB rolloff, I'll still hear it over 1kHz.

I've listened to a number of 12" hi-fi type drivers (NOT pro drivers) and really didn't like listening to them over 200Hz, really seem best crossed under 150Hz, otherwise seem a bit thick......

But your point about moving air volume certainly is valid.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 2:09 pm 

FerdinandII wrote:
For low frequencies, I think the Slot Loaded Open Baffle (SLOB) approach gives you a narrow front profile. I don't know if it will work all the way up to 500Hz though. A line array of 6.5 sounds like a workable solution....except it looks like you are trying to imitate Infinity Servos, which is a place that people never return from with their sanity intact.

Unfamiliar with your esoteric reference, Bruce. Not the first time. Do you mean Infinity's first speaker???

I don't intend to use any servo system at all, just an active crossover.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 3:07 pm 

I meant, dozens of people have gone crazy trying to replicate/duplicate this ^^^^^^^^^^
Don't do that, I'd hate to lose you.....

Stuart Polansky wrote:
FerdinandII wrote:

Unfamiliar with your esoteric reference, Bruce. Not the first time. Do you mean Infinity's first speaker???

I don't intend to use any servo system at all, just an active crossover.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 3:10 pm 

You shouldn't have shown me that, Bruce.......

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 3:12 pm 

How about an isobaric setup with the exterior drivers mounted face out, and the second set inside (not clamshell, where I know HF performance is non-existent) a very small sealed enclosure.

I love open baffle, just don't think the space exists for it......

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

You probably don't want to hear this, but you may need to consider a 2-way bass panel... A pair of the 15" drivers mentioned above, plus 4 6-8" drivers, crossed over at 150-200Hz...

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 12:23 pm 

f3 of 34 Hz, in a .15ft^3 sealed box
8.5" wide face x however many you want to stack high

http://www.jlaudio.com/6w3v3-4-car-audio-w3v3-subwoofer-drivers-92145