DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: January 30th, 2016, 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

OK, progress has been glacial, but I finally made some....

Roscoe

PostPosted: January 30th, 2016, 7:03 pm 

Hey Roscoe! Were you able to obtain after-market drive components for smooth run?

PostPosted: January 30th, 2016, 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Haven't gotten that far yet.... Don't want to rush things you know ;)

PostPosted: January 30th, 2016, 7:42 pm 

Hey Roscoe, you getting all fancy on us now?

You might need more mass in the plinth to get it really quiet. That motor throws off some vibrations. Have you tried to run it? Low voltage operation will somewhat calm the vibration as will damping the springs that hold the motor and decoupling the motor wiring loom from the chassis.

Since I don't have saws, not to mention skillz, I enlisted a guy I know on Audio Karma to make me a nice super pimped-out base for my trusty 301.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... ld.699113/

I had a 60 lb Japanese base with 3 arm locations but sold it before I left Texas. Might as well get a nice one cause I'll probably keep it till I die. I love this turntable.

Lately swamped with TT experiments...also picked up a monster RoK T-12 motor unit and a rare pre-TD-124 Thorens motor unit, see here

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index. ... ic=22409.0

I will probably ghetto fabricate plinths for these until I decide whether I wish to go further with them. The RoK T-12/T-43 is supposed to be killer on jazz and funky stuff according to my bud Schick, who just traded me an arm for a T-43.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2016, 12:01 pm 

is there a particular reason a heavy plinth is considered desirable (effective) for these old tables? I see everyone using these heavy plinths for their vintage tables. I picked up an Empire 208 with tone arm last year but have not worked on it yet, a number of other electronics projects in the cue before tackling that table, but was wondering about the heavy plinth thing...

PostPosted: January 31st, 2016, 1:06 pm 

Those big powerful motors shake rattle and roll. With a light resonant plinth you can hear it.

There are various approaches but the blunt force approach of heavy plinth definitely works.

I think the motor in the Empire is a small Pabst, no? These are not that hard to deal with.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2016, 6:38 pm 

J-ROB wrote:
Those big powerful motors shake rattle and roll. With a light resonant plinth you can hear it.

There are various approaches but the blunt force approach of heavy plinth definitely works.

I think the motor in the Empire is a small Pabst, no? These are not that hard to deal with.

thanks, Joe, that makes sense, had a Collins table a while back that had a big-ass motor in it, the Empire motor is a good bit smaller, but not that small, looks like it would have good torque...

My goal is to get a Lenco L75 and mate is with a Rabco SL-8E arm and give the linear tracking thing a go to see if it something I like...

PostPosted: January 31st, 2016, 8:24 pm 

I have a Lenco B62/L70 here if that will do ya. Even got a new idler for it from a Hungarian dude.

It is 4th in line for TT projects and I get one done every decade, it seems.

Lenco arm is supposedly OK if tweaked up.

The Pabst motor is quite excellent just not a washing machine substitute like the Ashlands and Bodines in Broadcast tables. The Garrard motor is not that bad but there can be perceptible rumble if not addressed. Keep in mind that these were mono-era tables so one dimension of rumble (vertical) would have been inaudible in mono!

For exquisite hi fi apps such as our bud Roscoe proposes, a balls to the wall approach goes without saying...in other words, he might pop for an additional cutting board.

I had pretty good results with plywood RoK plints gluing on ceramic tiles with melamine glue. Constrained layer damping and adds mass.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2016, 11:31 pm 

thanks, Joe, when you decide to let it go, let me know, I would be interested!

PostPosted: January 31st, 2016, 11:52 pm 

I'll unleash it. I'm going to Korea for 10 days this weekend, but look me up after the 17th or so.

Will be hanging with Jean Hiraga and some Japanese Western Electric nuts who are coming to visit Silbatone. Also the guy who runs the Lenco meet will be there. He is a fun super crazy character, Belgian gynecologist and analog freak.

Lenco seems like a decent mid-range table. Lots of people like them.

I just have too many TTs lined up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next