DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: April 21st, 2016, 8:19 pm 

Yeah. I'm into that scheme now. Getting a pair of hairpin leg speaker stands made with 1/2" rod and a rigid steel top plate for my 756Bs.

Initial tests listening to plinth with motor on with a stethoscope say it is not too rumbly. This motor unit was from a lathe. Has a big ass Eastern Air motor on it. Looks like I'll get some torque outta this thing.

This RoK switches wheels like an L-34 rather than moving a capstan up and down for speed control like a B-12. Fewer flimsy sheet metal components in the drive train...gots to be better.

If the table works out, maybe I'll go to soapstone, but more likely my lazy ass will be spinnin it the way it is indefinitely...

PostPosted: April 30th, 2016, 10:32 am 

Thanks for posting about this. I've got a T-12 in pretty good shape, but it needs a rebuild on the 33 rpm capstan. Who does these rebuilds now, anyone know?

PostPosted: April 30th, 2016, 10:49 am 

Capstan or idler wheel? I call the phenolic part attached to the motor spindle the "capstan."

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/ does the wheels.

I think I have an extra 33 wheel but if you're serious about it, it might be worth getting a fresh rebuild.

If the phenolic stepped spindle thing is out of round, that could be tricky.

Does your T12 have an Eastern Air motor or an Ashland? That would make it a T-12H (hysteresis synchronous motor).

If you want to try a different 33 wheel look me up in two weeks. I'm off to the MunichHighEnd show tomorrow. Pork and beer non-stop! Roscoe would love it there. I love it there.

Also, before you even replace the wheel, check the 2uF phasing cap. Mine was leaky as hell, got hot to the touch within minutes, and caused the motor to shake like crazy.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2016, 11:16 am 

J-ROB wrote:
Capstan or idler wheel? I call the phenolic part attached to the motor spindle the "capstan."

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/ does the wheels.

I think I have an extra 33 wheel but if you're serious about it, it might be worth getting a fresh rebuild.

If the phenolic stepped spindle thing is out of round, that could be tricky.

Does your T12 have an Eastern Air motor or an Ashland? That would make it a T-12H (hysteresis synchronous motor).

If you want to try a different 33 wheel look me up in two weeks. I'm off to the MunichHighEnd show tomorrow. Pork and beer non-stop! Roscoe would love it there. I love it there.

Also, before you even replace the wheel, check the 2uF phasing cap. Mine was leaky as hell, got hot to the touch within minutes, and caused the motor to shake like crazy.

Thanks for the quick response. I think the capstan is okay, it runs smoothly on the 78 wheel. The motor is Eastern Airlines. I'll check the cap, thank you. I'll also contact Terry about a rebuild. Much appreciated!

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

It spins!

I decided the 50Hz supply was more work than I had time for, so I put a 60Hz pulley on it.... I may still build the 50Hz generator for the strobe, I think the chip I'm using can drive an LED directly....

Now to finish up the plinth and mount the arm....

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 13th, 2016, 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Now Playing:

Still no strobe, but I'm using one of those free VPI mats, and it's got 60Hz strobe marks on it, so I can get by with household lighting...

Roscoe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6