DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Advice
PostPosted: July 28th, 2014, 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

JDCrae wrote:

One thing though. Would the minidsp also be an alternative ?

Yes, but, by itself it's a digital only device. To use it for bi-amping you'd need two stereo DACs, for tri-amping you'd need three!

The most important thing to keep in mind here is that you don't need to be in a hurry....

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 28th, 2014, 7:53 pm 

I just got a nanoDSP that will be part of the high resolution digital article I am going to start on over the next few weeks. I also got 3 ES9018 based DACs for my tri-amped system. I'll be doing comparisons between this stuff and the Behringers.

Benchmark will also be sending me one of there ADCs for a month test also for the article. When I get it all together and working I'll have a better idea of the "best" way to go.

If you want to hear my current tri-amped system let me know.

Tom

PostPosted: July 28th, 2014, 10:52 pm 

JDCrae, In reference to this; "There were 3 - more uncommon I guess - designs that I really enjoyed listening to. One was a Hawthorne Speaker that sounded amazing, really tall and wide soundstage, was very impressed with them. The second was Gingko Claravu 7. They sounded amazing as well. The last one, still have no idea what they were, hopefully someone who went will be able to tell me. They were similar in style to the Pluto I guess you could say", I was at the show all 3 days and never saw anything like what you are describing, on the Lobby Level. Could it have been the Surreal speaker room, an 8" Lowther sporting a field coil, sitting on top of a stack of 6 10" woofers( mounted horizontally, but stacked vertically), in black gloss? Using the bar as reference, where was the room? I heard the Hawthornes, the Heil driver from 400 hz up was amazing, I'm not as big a fan of their dipole bass, it couldn't pressurize the room and make you believe a bass drum was just struck, Klaus' Odyssey Kismet floorstanders and Salk/Philharmonic/Ginko/Tidal had no problem with big bass drums.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2014, 7:29 am 

I just got a nanoDSP that will be part of the high resolution digital article I am going to start on over the next few weeks. I also got 3 ES9018 based DACs for my tri-amped system. I'll be doing comparisons between this stuff and the Behringers.

Benchmark will also be sending me one of there ADCs for a month test also for the article. When I get it all together and working I'll have a better idea of the "best" way to go.

Tom

Tom,

I would love to hear your feedback on the nano and the ES9018's. Do you have a website where you publish your articles? Would also love to hear your system some time. Just let me know what your schedule is like and I will get to where you are.

The last one, still have no idea what they were, hopefully someone who went will be able to tell me. They were similar in style to the Pluto I guess you could say", I was at the show all 3 days and never saw anything like what you are describing, on the Lobby Level. Could it have been the Surreal speaker room, an 8" Lowther sporting a field coil, sitting on top of a stack of 6 10" woofers( mounted horizontally, but stacked vertically), in black gloss? Using the bar as reference, where was the room?

I suppose that could be them, but I don't see how there could have been 6 woofers in the bottom.

If you imagine standing to the left of the Starbucks, there was an open area that had a lot of cabinets, consoles etc displayed. If you were looking directly at that area - the hall going out the back of the building would be to your left. The room to the left of that open space is where the speakers were. They were grey, stood about 4 feet tall. Wider at the base than the top, probably around 24-30 inches width at the bottom and 12-16 at the top. Looked like a very slim pyramid almost. Then at the top- there was a bit of a gap between the tower, and what I assume was a tweeter or small full range. The sound from those speakers filled the entire room with ease. It was insane how far they threw sound. There were two guys in the room- one with a white dress shirt, who was we'll say less than motivated to talk to me, and another guy- grey hair and mustache in a blue shirt. I got the impression he represented the amplifiers in the room, and the other guy represented the shop in VA that brought the speakers. Looking at the map it would have been the Cedar Room- but I looked at legacy audio- which is listed as the company in that room- and none of the speakers look even close.

And I just found them- CAF's map listing was incorrect- Good to know I have expensive taste lol. Here is a link. Given the price, I am almost sad I found it
http://www.unitedhomeaudio.com/id191.htm Its the second pic, not the first. Almost didn't recognize it as they had the guard thing removed, and also had it with the woofers facing the listening area. Can't imagine spending that much money on a set of speakers. iMHO, its one of the ugliest speakers I have ever seen, but the way it filled the whole room with sound was pretty breathtaking.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2014, 8:54 am 

JDCrae wrote:

Tom

Tom,

I would love to hear your feedback on the nano and the ES9018's. Do you have a website where you publish your articles? Would also love to hear your system some time. Just let me know what your schedule is like and I will get to where you are.

I don't publish myself. I write for "AudioXpress" magazine which is both in print and online. I'm retired so usually the best time for me is during the week days. Weekends are usually pretty hectic especially during the summer. Right now August 11th, 12, 14, or the 18th through 22nd look good. I am in North Potomac.

David Berning also has a killer prototype 300B amp that we might cajole him into bringing as well. He lives just a few miles away.

Quote:

The last one, still have no idea what they were, hopefully someone who went will be able to tell me. They were similar in style to the Pluto I guess you could say", I was at the show all 3 days and never saw anything like what you are describing, on the Lobby Level. Could it have been the Surreal speaker room, an 8" Lowther sporting a field coil, sitting on top of a stack of 6 10" woofers( mounted horizontally, but stacked vertically), in black gloss? Using the bar as reference, where was the room?

I suppose that could be them, but I don't see how there could have been 6 woofers in the bottom.

If you imagine standing to the left of the Starbucks, there was an open area that had a lot of cabinets, consoles etc displayed. If you were looking directly at that area - the hall going out the back of the building would be to your left. The room to the left of that open space is where the speakers were. They were grey, stood about 4 feet tall. Wider at the base than the top, probably around 24-30 inches width at the bottom and 12-16 at the top. Looked like a very slim pyramid almost. Then at the top- there was a bit of a gap between the tower, and what I assume was a tweeter or small full range. The sound from those speakers filled the entire room with ease. It was insane how far they threw sound. There were two guys in the room- one with a white dress shirt, who was we'll say less than motivated to talk to me, and another guy- grey hair and mustache in a blue shirt. I got the impression he represented the amplifiers in the room, and the other guy represented the shop in VA that brought the speakers. Looking at the map it would have been the Cedar Room- but I looked at legacy audio- which is listed as the company in that room- and none of the speakers look even close.

And I just found them- CAF's map listing was incorrect- Good to know I have expensive taste lol. Here is a link. Given the price, I am almost sad I found it
http://www.unitedhomeaudio.com/id191.htm Its the second pic, not the first. Almost didn't recognize it as they had the guard thing removed, and also had it with the woofers facing the listening area. Can't imagine spending that much money on a set of speakers. iMHO, its one of the ugliest speakers I have ever seen, but the way it filled the whole room with sound was pretty breathtaking.

Last edited by Roscoe Primrose on July 29th, 2014, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
fixed quoting...

PostPosted: July 29th, 2014, 10:30 am 

tomp wrote:

[b]I don't publish myself. I write for "AudioXpress" magazine which is both in print and online. I'm retired so usually the best time for me is during the week days. Weekends are usually pretty hectic especially during the summer. Right now August 11th, 12, 14, or the 18th through 22nd look good. I am in North Potomac.

David Berning also has a killer prototype 300B amp that we might cajole him into bringing as well. He lives just a few miles away.

I would love to hear the system too. I can even bring my push-pull 300B amp if people are interested. I am in Gaithersburg.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2014, 11:48 am 

http://www.unitedhomeaudio.com/id191.htm Its the second pic, not the first. Almost didn't recognize it as they had the guard thing removed, and also had it with the woofers facing the listening area. Can't imagine spending that much money on a set of speakers. iMHO, its one of the ugliest speakers I have ever seen, but the way it filled the whole room with sound was pretty breathtaking.[/quote]

JD, So you heard MBLs for the first time? Very robot looking, and a difficult driver to DIY, omnidirectional radiation is how they fill a room.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2014, 1:57 pm 

michkhol wrote:
tomp wrote:

[b]I don't publish myself. I write for "AudioXpress" magazine which is both in print and online. I'm retired so usually the best time for me is during the week days. Weekends are usually pretty hectic especially during the summer. Right now August 11th, 12, 14, or the 18th through 22nd look good. I am in North Potomac.

I would love to hear the system too. I can even bring my push-pull 300B amp if people are interested. I am in Gaithersburg.

Someone pick ont of the dates and we will set it up.

Tom

PostPosted: July 29th, 2014, 10:59 pm 

tomp wrote:
michkhol wrote:
tomp wrote:

Someone pick ont of the dates and we will set it up.

Tom

Aug 14, 19, 21 are good for me.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2014, 6:36 am 

The 19th would honestly work best for me - as work keeps me insanely busy during the week, but if after work on the other days works better for all, I will make it work.

Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next