DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LXmini
PostPosted: July 14th, 2014, 9:11 am 

SL's latest. The design specifics have not come out yet, but I am making some educated guesses, and will measure [via CLIO and ARTA] to see how close I came. Just waiting for the miniDSP and the transfer function...

Post subject: Re: LXmini
PostPosted: July 14th, 2014, 9:38 am 

Two things:

One- your talent is incredible. Speakers look amazing, can only imagine how they sound.

Two- That amp is massive! What are its capabilities?

Jeff

PostPosted: July 14th, 2014, 8:49 pm 

Hi Jeff:

That is a "PASS LAB" X150 -- a class "A" (stereo) solid state amp -- I have two to drive the upper baffle array of the LX521, an a Bryston 2B SST^2 for the bass bins. The PASS labs are 150watts per channel (4x150watts) and the Bryston is 2x 180watts @ 4ohms. The LX521 is all active system, so it needs six channels of amplification, at a minimum.

Got the DSP -- making process.

Regards,
Charles

PostPosted: July 16th, 2014, 11:56 pm 

Siegfried published his instructions today (which you purchase for $105.00 via paypal) -- I was officially the first to buy them, and will be the first to build them (the LXmini). My guesses were not too far off. The real issue was the miniDSP transfer function -- there was no way to reverse engineer that (!) pretty much each and every PEQ was used -- now to test with ClioWIN FW 11 and double check with ARTA, using the calibrated Earthworks M30BX. SL has a distinct advantage over us normal mortals

Quote:
I do my quasi-anechoic measurements outdoors, with the speakers mounted on a 50" turntable so that the speaker is as far away from any reflecting surfaces as possible, yet still manageable. I try to get 10 milliseconds of undisturbed sound between the initial impulse response and the arrival of the first reflection, which will give me a frequency resolution of 100Hz and useful data for all frequencies above a couple of hundred Hertz. I also try to minimize the first reflection off the floor or ground with acoustic absorbers.

I pine for being able to do a 10 msec MLS window outdoors (Wow!) -- you need to live in the boondocks -- aka, in Corte Madera, CA, where such "quiet" exists

Shooting for this

\\ Charles

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2014, 9:42 pm 

Listening to these LXmini (via the Pas Labs X150's) -- different from the LX521, but still involving:

http://youtu.be/wy6CBmG8J7Q

Jeff? Still out there? Sent you my email -- please use it if you want to take a listen ....

\\Charles

PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 6:53 am 

An interesting finding - the LXmini do not require gobs of space around them to sound VERY good - the midrange/tweeter mount acts as a diffuser/hemholtz cavity, and the loudspeakers directional character is more that of a cardiroid as a result

PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 8:01 am 

My apologies Charles- I did get your message, and will definitely reach out when things calm down. This summer has been insane with work, family etc. Luckily things slow down into the fall/winter work wise- so I should be having some extra time coming up. Have also been working on something else which I am pretty excited about. Will post about it in the proper place.

How are you liking the Mini's?

Jeff

PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 8:46 am 

So Charles, when do we get copies of the build plans? ;)

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 7:26 am 

Not that it states much, but Herb Reichart of "Stereophile" enjoyed the LXmini's at RMAF 2014

Quote:
Room 417–418: Many times, I've said these shows are really about people, learning—and secret club—gear-head fun! I believe visiting rooms, listening for a short while and then assigning absolute virtue and value is fool's play. But! But! But! Early the last morning of the show I got a call from Steve Guttenberg raving about the sound in the Linkwitz Lab's room. Immediately, I threw on my pants and went there to investigate.
As usual, he was right. The sound was so good that I am now about to go against my whole belief system and state: In the 4th and 5th Atrium floors that I covered, the best sound I heard was the in room with the lowest price system!

\\Charles

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 11:53 pm 

Another blurb:

http://orion.quicksytes.com/viewtopic.p ... 242#p29209