DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 17th, 2014, 5:05 pm 

Information for anyone in the group, not in possession of an audio measurement suite.

I just bought a $70 USB microphone from Parts Express. Once receiving the microphone, one enters the serial number on line and receives the calibration sheet for the individual mike you have. The mike is intended for high SPL readings and at under 57dB, the readings are not reliable.

One user posted his calibration chart in a brief review. I thought it was all over the place until I noticed that the major vertical divisions were 0.5dB :o

Combined with a PC and free software "MathAudio Room EQ component for Foobar2000" one has a room measurement suite, at least a simple one. Better than nothing by a whole bunch.

The mike,

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... e--390-808

gets almost 5 stars; the big downside being the 5/16" mounting hardware, not the standard 1/4" that fits standard tripods.

I hope this is of some help. If it's beneath your dignity to own one, please don't flame me.

Stuart

PostPosted: April 18th, 2014, 9:09 am 

I suspect this will save you a bunch of time and frustration when setting up your crossovers. Don't worry Stuart, I have no suspicions that you are planning on replacing your ears with a $70 microphone..... :thumbdown:

PostPosted: April 18th, 2014, 9:30 am 

FerdinandII wrote:
I suspect this will save you a bunch of time and frustration when setting up your crossovers. Don't worry Stuart, I have no suspicions that you are planning on replacing your ears with a $70 microphone..... :thumbdown:

That's the idea. When trying to set up DIY speakers, with a laptop, software and this mike I can measure a driver or speaker outside for raw data, measure the same in a room, have a better shot of integrating multiple speakers and the room.

I thought I'd have to borrow something, but this looks like the ticket.