DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 9:05 am 

I needed an HT speaker to fit into the side recesses of a TV stand. While I had some old Radio Shack hard dome tweeters, suitable for the purpose, and a subwoofer to cover the lower extremes satisfactorily, I had no midrange/bass drivers that would fit the project except a 5.25" and two 4" speakers, neither of which would likely do the job keeping the sub-rolloff at or below 100Hz and provide reasonable SPLs in my living room without setting their voice coils on fire.

I needed a good 6.5"-7" driver usable into the mid HF range, around 6-7kHz.

Asking around, Joel came up with a pair of Goodman 8" drivers. Too big I thought, since the cabinet width limit is 9", height, 13" and depth 18". Well, I did some finagling and figured I could make it work.

Guy Riffle stepped in and assisted me for three very cold hours in his garage, using his table saw, since mine is buried, and with an unmovable car in front of it, no way to cut 8' long 3/4" Birch plywood panels. We got everything cut with acceptable precision. Cut some wood for a couple of other projects while I was at it.

This past weekend, I set about assembling the speakers. Found one tweeter dead, luckily had four. Used 4 x 1uF Wondercaps (Wondered when I'd ever find a use for the damn things! So THAT'S why they're called Wonder Caps!). Stuffed the heck out of the enclosures with fiberglass. Speakers sound good enough. What I wanted: clear, crisp midrange, decent highs and non-boomy bass. Overall, watching movies is now a pleasant experience.

So, big thanks to Joel Merritt and Guy Riffle for their generous donations to my little project! :clap:

As for my one big DOH!, well the speakers are about 1/8" too wide and 1/2" too tall to fit into the cabinet! So they are sitting on the floor. Now I have to make them look decent! :violin:

Guess I should have bought a 6.5" or 7" driver! :angry-cussingblack:

Stuart

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 1:17 pm 

Here's where you went wrong:

Well, I did some finagling and..... :oops: