DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stone rack shelves
PostPosted: November 28th, 2013, 6:44 pm 

I picked up 2 pieces of stone to try in my stereo system and was wondering if anyone would like to try them in their system also. If anyone in the DC area would like to give a piece of granite or quartz a listen, let me know. I would be more than happy to drop them off f and leave them with you to demo for a while.

I see this as a fun free experiment to see if a stereo stand has an impact on the sound of a system. I would also like to get a body of opinion on the sound of different materials from several people, (if in fact there is one). I know my ears are not as well trained as others in the group and it would just be interesting to hear what others think.

In terms of material I have, I picked up a piece of granite, 24 x15 x 1 1/8 and a piece of quartz that is 12 3/4 x 14 1/2 x 3/4-ish. I would like to try a piece of marble but have not picked up a piece yet.

Again, if anyone in the DC area is interested in giving these a try let me know and we’ll set something up.

In terms of my testing these materials out:

The granite is a dense and ‘thuds when you tap it, the quartz has a high bright sound when tapped.

I dropped the granite under my Lynn and listened to a few albums but have not listened to one of my ‘test records’ so I cannot report any difference good or bad. I have not tried the quarts yet. Lynn recommends light (to me bright) sounding stands, this granite is just he opposite so we’ll see.

The quartz will be hard for me to test since it is smaller than my stand. I plan on placing my old particle board shelf back in, and placing the quartz on tip toes on it. Not the cleanest experiment but it’s all I have due to its size.

Note, If you are interested in a picture of the stone, let me know and I’ll e-mail it over. I tried posting them to this letter but they were too big

I am testing it on my turntable since it is more susceptible to sonic vibration that a CD player

Of course, I will report back with my findings as I learn / hear more.

Thoughts or inputs welcome,

- John