DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 9:48 am 
Site Admin

So, in an effort to have a bit more bass extension, and better dynamics, I'm embarking on a new open baffle project. This will be a semi-modular approach, with a bass section consisting of 2 18" woofers in a slot loaded open baffle configuration ( http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_slob.pdf) which will be about 20" tall, with an interchangeable upper section which will hold various drivers to cover frequencies above about 100Hz. The system will be bi-amped, with the woofers run with a low pass crossover, and the upper section, at least initially, run full-range. Plan to start on construction this weekend....

Roscoe

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 10:07 am 
Roscoe Primrose wrote:
So, in an effort to have a bit more bass extension, and better dynamics, I'm embarking on a new open baffle project. This will be a semi-modular approach, with a bass section consisting of 2 18" woofers in a slot loaded open baffle configuration ( http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_slob.pdf) which will be about 20" tall, with an interchangeable upper section which will hold various drivers to cover frequencies above about 100Hz. The system will be bi-amped, with the woofers run with a low pass crossover, and the upper section, at least initially, run full-range. Plan to start on construction this weekend....

Roscoe

Why open baffle? Wouldn't a transmission line be more space efficient? It's not like you have unlimited real estate in the listening room. Just asking.............

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 10:55 am 

1. The room just looks small, with the big horns in the corners
2. OB has some real advantages, as Nelson Pass outlined in the short article
3. The OB woofers I've heard so far were very good, they're worth experimenting with at least
4. Surely you're not immune to the allure of OB, even if it isn't also a line source :music-listening:

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 11:26 am 
Site Admin

High Transconductance wrote:
Why open baffle? Wouldn't a transmission line be more space efficient? It's not like you have unlimited real estate in the listening room. Just asking.............

Not much. Take a look at the article. Using the slot loaded open baffle (SLOB, gotta love it...) the whole speaker will be the same width as the open baffle we had at CAF last year, and only about 10" taller...

Roscoe

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 11:26 am 
FerdinandII wrote:
3. The OB woofers I've heard so far were very good, they're worth experimenting with at least
4. Surely you're not immune to the allure of OB, even if it isn't also a line source :music-listening:

Hi Ferd,

1. I am aware of the relative effect. That's why I hang around with fatter people in a bar. :D

2. Haven't read "The Short Article", however, Nelson Pass, brilliant as he is, keeps trying to make sand sound like tubes. I noble pursuit, but a waste of a brilliant mind who could be STARTING with the superior technology! So, while he is probably correct in whatever assertion he makes, when I read anything by him, I can't help but wonder if there isn't an easier and ultimately better solution. Having said that, I'm sure OB has lots of advantages, especially in the upper ranges, but I would have thought that in a very low frequency application, there might be a better way.

3. I understand if it's just an experiment. I don't doubt you've heard "very good" ones. I don't know, that's why I am asking. Humbly. Okay, strike "humbly".

4. As I've mentioned many times, I like OB, cone, planar magnetic, ribbon or electrostatic! It's just that when I think of OB bass, I think huge baffles. And I was definitely considering the size of those horns when I asked!

5. Are these the same horns, Roscoe (or Ferd)? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz3Cc7wlfkI

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 12:22 pm 

High Transconductance wrote:
5. Are these the same horns, Roscoe (or Ferd)? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz3Cc7wlfkI

Nope, those are more like Lamda's.....

PostPosted: April 26th, 2013, 1:27 pm 

Quote:
2. Haven't read "The Short Article", however, Nelson Pass, brilliant as he is, keeps trying to make sand sound like tubes. I noble pursuit, but a waste of a brilliant mind who could be STARTING with the superior technology! So, while he is probably correct in whatever assertion he makes, when I read anything by him, I can't help but wonder if there isn't an easier and ultimately better solution. Having said that, I'm sure OB has lots of advantages, especially in the upper ranges, but I would have thought that in a very low frequency application, there might be a better way.

Whoa nellie! Let's not get too carried away ... an alternate view might be that those that pound sand into beautiful transconducting FET's and the like enjoy the sound of 'non-romanticized' live instruments [ like brass instruments] that have sharp metallic signatures that "tube gear" almost aways round off and make 'sweet'. Far from wasting his brillant mind, Nelson is trying to bring "relatiy" into our homes....

I enjoy reflecting on what J. Gordon Holt wrote not too long before his passing:

"We seem to have come to a tacit agreement that it's no longer necessary, or even desirable, for a home music system to sound like the real thing. We speak in hushed and reverent tones about reproducing the ineffable beauty of music, when in fact much real music is harsh and vulgar and ugly. We design the all-important musical midrange out of our equipment in order to try - vainly, I might add - to recreate the illusion of three-dimensional space through what is essentially a two-dimensional reproducer. And whenever we hear a loudspeaker or a CD player that shows subversive signs of sounding more 'alive' or 'realistic' than most, we dismiss it out of hand as being too 'forward' or 'aggressive.' As if a lot of real music isn't forward and aggressive!"

J. Gordon Holt, 1992 Stereophile 30th Anniversary Dinner Address

-- Charles [LX521 owner]

PostPosted: April 26th, 2013, 1:48 pm 

As I have said before, the only thing that is "right" is what makes you happy if audio is a hobby for you. Whether or not a particular technology can produce more "realistic" results is of no interest if you do not want the dynamics and yes, often harshness of real sound. However, to say a technology is deficient because you do not like the results of applying that technology is sort of like whistling in the graveyard. You don't need to justify your preferences by disparaging a particular technology. In fact, you don't need to justify your preferences at all.

In my case, I like the excitement of high dynamic range with the types of music that move me. The "liquid" sound does not always float (bad pun intended) my boat. However, that does not mean that my choices have anything to do with others. The one thing that I do require is that any system be able to reproduce the frequency and sound pressure ranges of an original performance so that I can then modify them if desired to match my mood of the moment. I don't want some engineer to impress their ideas on me through limiting design choices on a particular piece of equipment that cannot later be changed without dire consequences.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2013, 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

FerdinandII wrote:

The horns are no longer in the corners at this point...

FerdinandII wrote:

I believe Stuart hasn't heard my other OB system... Same size baffle as the ones we had at CAF last year, but with the 15" Urei coaxial driver. That's a whole different game :obscene-drinkingcheers:

The initial version of the new OBs will use this driver above the subs. I don't think dynamics will be an issue ;)

Roscoe

PostPosted: April 26th, 2013, 5:24 pm 
I believe Stuart hasn't heard my other OB system... Same size baffle as the ones we had at CAF last year, but with the 15" Urei coaxial driver. That's a whole different game :obscene-drinkingcheers: True, let's make it happen!

As I have said before, the only thing that is "right" is what makes you happy if audio is a hobby for you. Whether or not a particular technology can produce more "realistic" results is of no interest if you do not want the dynamics and yes, often harshness of real sound. However, to say a technology is deficient because you do not like the results of applying that technology is sort of like whistling in the graveyard. You don't need to justify your preferences by disparaging a particular technology. In fact, you don't need to justify your preferences at all.

In my case, I like the excitement of high dynamic range with the types of music that move me. The "liquid" sound does not always float (bad pun intended) my boat. However, that does not mean that my choices have anything to do with others. The one thing that I do require is that any system be able to reproduce the frequency and sound pressure ranges of an original performance so that I can then modify them if desired to match my mood of the moment. I don't want some engineer to impress their ideas on me through limiting design choices on a particular piece of equipment that cannot later be changed without dire consequences.

Whoa nellie! Let's not get too carried away ... an alternate view might be that those that pound sand into beautiful transconducting FET's and the like enjoy the sound of 'non-romanticized' live instruments [ like brass instruments] that have sharp metallic signatures that "tube gear" almost aways round off and make 'sweet'. Far from wasting his brillant mind, Nelson is trying to bring "relatiy" into our homes....

[color=#000080]I like MOSFETs for certain things, like source followers. Not for voltage amplification. Nelson is very creative and successful at what he does. As to "relatiy", well, that's like a transistor amp all right: All the sounds are there, just not in the right order. Bada bing!

I enjoy reflecting on what J. Gordon Holt wrote not too long before his passing:

"We seem to have come to a tacit agreement that it's no longer necessary, or even desirable, for a home music system to sound like the real thing. We speak in hushed and reverent tones about reproducing the ineffable beauty of music, when in fact much real music is harsh and vulgar and ugly. We design the all-important musical midrange out of our equipment in order to try - vainly, I might add - to recreate the illusion of three-dimensional space through what is essentially a two-dimensional reproducer. And whenever we hear a loudspeaker or a CD player that shows subversive signs of sounding more 'alive' or 'realistic' than most, we dismiss it out of hand as being too 'forward' or 'aggressive.' As if a lot of real music isn't forward and aggressive!"

J. Gordon Holt, 1992 Stereophile 30th Anniversary Dinner Address[/color]

Tom P., I'd love to hear a live drum recording on your main system. If you can do that SPL to "fool" me into thinking REAL drums are in the room, that is an incredible accomplishment.

As to the oft repeated (and I think BS) line that tubes sound sweet or romanticize the sound of instruments, again, BS. One of the first projects I did, decades ago, was to build a preamp, a total gut of a PAS, still used 12AX7's, but scabbed on chassis extensions for all the iron and caps. An old friend, had recently completed a new build JFET preamp (a college project actually), beautifully laid out, professional looking chassis, etc. We had a friend connect them in a high fi store (In Bethesda, I think) to a nice MOSFET power amp. First we listened to one, then the other. When the second one came on, IMMEDIATELY my friend said "Oh God, there's that tube sloppy warmth". You guessed, it was his DC coupled, regulated JFET preamp sounding "warm" and "sloppy" compared to those tubes.

I don't buy it. It's circuit design, crap-ass capacitors and poor power supplies that give tube equipment the signature most people are familiar with.

As to harsh, edgy sounds and whether it is "even desirable" to have a home system sound like the real thing? Really? Of course it is. Trouble is, you have no idea what the original sounded like. Even if you were there, the recording engineer chose the mikes, room, placement, effects, gear, etc. The only way you know what a system sounds like, how close to what the engineer wanted you to hear, is "averaging".

Because we don't know what one recording sounded like, we listen to lots of them. Lots of them. If all the recordings take on a character: forward, harsh, edgy, incoherent, lacking depth, mushy bass, whatever the perceived defect, then that is most likely a characteristic of the equipment. The DIFFERENCES heard between different recordings are a key that you are getting closer to the "truth" of what was recorded, despite whether it sounds like real life or not, it is what was recorded. When one recording is hot and edgy, another soft or rolled off in the bass, another having a huge soundstage, we are making progress.

We will never get there, to the truth. We keep making closer and closer approximations. The idea is to listen, to learn, to share, to be critical when it is kind and benefits the builder and to praise and learn when the job is done well. We need to enjoy this and be happy about it. We only get to go around once and personally, I want to make the most of it.

I'm not trying to lecture here :character-oldtimer: , only make my point clear :angry-banghead: , and sure it's okay to disagree :violence-duel: , we can still be friends. :obscene-drinkingcheers: