DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 26th, 2013, 5:58 pm 

Roscoe, the bass array looks very interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds!

PostPosted: April 26th, 2013, 7:04 pm 

Thanks for taking up the flag Stuart. I agree that the "tubey" type sound had actually nothing to do with the tubes themselves. First it was the crappy electrolytic caps - you can try this yourself - those things slow down everything for about an octave and a half below middle C. I'll never forget when I replaced them with oils and Cerafines and "magic" the tube sound disappeared. Also microphonics contribute to the perceived slowness of tubes. They have to be mounted on an inert platform with the use of dampers so that the ends of notes are clean.

Finally it really comes down to power supply design. My phono stage is probably the fastest I've ever heard (much more so than the FET based Pearl) but it uses high transconductance tubes on the input with a shunt regulated power supply. Alan Wright was correct in his assertion that that makes all the difference in the world. With that one change bass drum beats hit me in the chest. Something I had felt in the concert hall but thought I could never duplicate at home. Now if I can just get that special ring of a cymbal I'm done.

Charlie

PostPosted: April 28th, 2013, 7:49 pm 

If anyone wants to hear a drum that sounds like it is in the room, you are invited to listen to my main system. I am retired so weekdays are best for me. Just give me a heads up so I can check my schedule.

If you want to be able to reproduce the dynamics of a live drum kit you need lots of linear volume displacement and also either very high efficiency drivers (or combinations of multiple lower efficiency drivers) or lots of amplifier power.