DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: January 17th, 2024, 3:57 pm 

We all know how knowledgeable you are, only surpassing your humble posts here. I only posted the obvious to Maggy owners past and present that Maggy's are not electrostatic Richard seemed to make mention that what he was working on were electrostatic. I will keep my dumb remarks from this board from now on
See Ya

PostPosted: January 17th, 2024, 5:22 pm 

This is not a good or bad comment, just an observation:

The problem with text is that it's hard to tell when we're being silly or sarcastic. I figured that Walt was being sarcastic, so his comment made sense to me. He is just joking. Stuart was also joking with his response to Walt to not ask the question: we're just joking but it's hard to tell unless we've met each other in person a few times and get to know each other (which Walt, Stuart, and I have done.) Those who have met me probably saw that I can be very sarcastic, so maybe that's why I got Walt's sarcasm?

But this is the problem of modern text communication: much of the intended information is lost, with only 7% of the data coming through. In these cases, we have to make interpretations that have a good chance of being wrong.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2024, 10:37 pm 

Talked to Magnepan and was able to get a pair of used 2.7/QR speaker connector plates to rewire the 3-way 1.7 planar speakers for direct amp drive. I can also rewire the fuses to the tweeter and super tweeter for protection.

These connector plates will have the 6 new Superior Electric BP30-10 5-way binding posts for speaker wire connections. :)

Attachments:
ConnectorPlateReplacementsFor1_7.jpg
ConnectorPlateReplacementsFor1_7.jpg [ 334.53 KiB | Viewed 2171 times ]

PostPosted: January 18th, 2024, 12:41 pm 

Guy wrote:

The problem with text is that it's hard to tell when we're being silly or sarcastic. I figured that Walt was being sarcastic, so his comment made sense to me. He is just joking. Stuart was also joking with his response to Walt to not ask the question: we're just joking but it's hard to tell unless we've met each other in person a few times and get to know each other (which Walt, Stuart, and I have done.) Those who have met me probably saw that I can be very sarcastic, so maybe that's why I got Walt's sarcasm?

But this is the problem of modern text communication: much of the intended information is lost, with only 7% of the data coming through. In these cases, we have to make interpretations that have a good chance of being wrong.

You guys didn't see me wink and smile. But that said -- there is an audio population out there that doesn't know the difference between planar-magnetic and electrostatic. A flat screen is a flat screen. And there is -- "What? You have to plug the flat screen into a 120-volt socket? Why?" And my favorite (owning horns) when a visitor asks -- [color=#BF0000]"What size are your mid-range drivers and tweeters?" I answer 1-inch and get a blank stare in return. LOL! I could write a book.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2024, 12:42 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
We all know how knowledgeable you are, only surpassing your humble posts here. I only posted the obvious to Maggy owners past and present that Maggy's are not electrostatic Richard seemed to make mention that what he was working on were electrostatic. I will keep my dumb remarks from this board from now on
See Ya

No -- I thought you were messing with me. :crazy:

PostPosted: January 18th, 2024, 7:11 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
Guy wrote:

You guys didn't see me wink and smile. But that said -- there is an audio population out there that doesn't know the difference between planar-magnetic and electrostatic. A flat screen is a flat screen. And there is -- "What? You have to plug the flat screen into a 120-volt socket? Why?" And my favorite (owning horns) when a visitor asks -- [color=#BF0000]"What size are your mid-range drivers and tweeters?" I answer 1-inch and get a blank stare in return. LOL! I could write a book.

Interestingly, the Sony Wega series of CRT TVs were touted as (and were) "flat screen" TVs. [I actually had a 1080P resolution XBR one; sucker weighed over 300#!)

When the flat screen TVs we have today were introduced, the differentiating term used was "Flat panel" TV.

So, all flat screens are flat screens, huh? Like you mentioned, the general populace is pathetically uninformed. (probably me too!)

I love Maggies. The higher end models have had direct drive ribbon tweeters for decades. So even though they are planar-dynamic speakers, they are at best hybrids, since the the ribbons, while dynamic, aren't planar.

I'm betting Rich is going to have great luck making them sing.

Stuart

PostPosted: January 18th, 2024, 11:30 pm 

Paul,
I appreciate all the comments, so I am glad you are here. I see the sarcasm, and understand the differences between planars, ribbons and electrostatic well, as I had both planars and ribbons in speakers.

A friend has two pairs of working KLH Model 9 electrostatic speakers and at one time an B250 Ace Bass sub that died. I setup my Hafler P1500 Trans-Nova amp for his system and it was probably the best sound from them he or I have heard. The amp was designed by Jim Strickland at Hafler for electrostatic speaker loads. He had Futterman HA1 amps for them at one point that kept blowing up every few years. Getting the replacement caps that blew took months, so he gave up sold them and went to Crown DC300 amps. Rugged as anything, but the sound quality was not there. Traded sound for reliability at the time.

Having MGIIB's in '82 with VMPS Standard Subs and biamped with Hafler DH200 and ADCOM GFA-555's along the way, even Magnepan knew to build a high pass filter for the main amps between the preamp and power amps to adjust levels and remove the excess bass energy from the planars. Improves power handling for better dynamics. Worked well, but the speakers are not very flat as I just measured a friends pair for frequency response. The 1.7 is much more modern and all quasi-ribbon drivers. Very well integrated and for $100/pair for repair, a bargain to experiment with. They deserve better crossovers and modern DSP with modern ADC and DAC's work extremely well. This is not your basic miniDSP of what ever flavor.

This is going to be a fun project and will share what happens. The Magnepan quasi-ribbon repair kit and new black socks are coming, so the repair should look good with the new connector plates. Will integrate them with the 3x12" servo subs in my room. :)

PostPosted: January 20th, 2024, 9:47 pm 

The Magnepan quasi-ribbon repair kit for the 1.7's super tweeter arrived and have the Acetone to remove the original glue and aluminum foil material.

The kit has instructions for the removal and replacement of the driver foil.

There are new connectors for wiring the new aluminum ribbon foil for the replacement.

Once I have the sides off and remove the sock, will be able to find the foil break.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2024, 10:02 pm 

Modified the new connector plates with the Superior Electric BP30-10 5-way binding posts.

Next is to rewire the fuses to the tweeter and supertweeter planars for protection.

Hard to find the black 5-way connectors, so went with yellow for the negative terminals.

Attachments:
5-WayConnectorPlate.jpg
5-WayConnectorPlate.jpg [ 310.82 KiB | Viewed 2040 times ]

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2024, 4:38 pm 

Have the side stiles and sock removed on the 1.7 with the open super tweeter foil. Nothing obviously broken or burned.

Have the Acetone and Super77 adhesive needed for the process of removing and reworking the foil traces along with the foil replacement kit from Magnepan.

Once that is done, time to rebuild the speaker for 3-way triamp with the DSP crossover.

Attachments:
1_7RemovedStiles&Sock.jpg
1_7RemovedStiles&Sock.jpg [ 458.97 KiB | Viewed 1981 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next