DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 30th, 2023, 12:51 pm 

There is more to resistors than most believe or understand, and within a generic type not all are equals. When comes to audio projects resistors can make or ruin a project -or- at least create a mediocre end result.

Attached is a White Paper published by the February/1994 Audio Amateur issue that I recommend as a "must read."

Some of your know that I favor Vishay Bulk-film resistors (that are non-inductive) and wire-wound non-inductive bobbin resistors in the signal path -- both seem to "stay of the way" of good playback.

I believe the main reason is, instead of the snug-fitting end-cap connection of every metal-film resistor on this earth, the Vishay bulk-film resistors and bobbins have welded connecting-wires.

Additionally, both are non-inductive. Metal film resistors' elements are spiraled (like an ordinary inductor) around a ceramic, aluminum oxide, or glass substrate.

Carbon composition resistors have a compressed carbon/filler slug with the connecting wires simply inserted snug-fit into the slug.

May the Solder Force be with you!

Attachments:
Resistor White Paper.pdf [1.9 MiB]
Downloaded 811 times