DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Building a server
PostPosted: August 16th, 2023, 8:49 am 

I found another pair so I have three pairs of rails that you can have.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2023, 12:38 am 

brombo wrote:
I found another pair so I have three pairs of rails that you can have.

I will message you. It will probably be next week. We also have to deal with my speaker project.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2023, 4:17 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
For storage only, I'd go with FreeNAS....

Will it allow me have multiple small Raids?

I don't have a ton of music, but I want it to be super redundant.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2023, 6:09 pm 

You don't really need RAID. You might find it helpful to read this wiki article about the history of RAID and the reasons for its development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

I have about half a terrabyte of music and just have it on the SSD in my laptop. However, I have copies on old hard drives at various places. This is the best and simplest way to achieve redundancy.

1 - in my unit
2 - in my garage which is not physically connected to my unit
3 - at my sister's house a thousand miles away

Depending on the size of your music collection, you may be able to put it all on a USB stick.

ray

PostPosted: August 17th, 2023, 7:39 pm 

Ray is 100% correct.
RAID is not a backup.
It is designed for and used for high availability.
IOW, it can take a hit and keep on running, without interruption or downtime.

ratbagp wrote:
You don't really need RAID. You might find it helpful to read this wiki article about the history of RAID and the reasons for its development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

I have about half a terabyte of music and just have it on the SSD in my laptop. However, I have copies on old hard drives at various places. This is the best and simplest way to achieve redundancy.

1 - in my unit
2 - in my garage which is not physically connected to my unit
3 - at my sister's house a thousand miles away

Depending on the size of your music collection, you may be able to put it all on a USB stick.

ray

PostPosted: August 17th, 2023, 9:51 pm 

RAID is generally good but as Ray said it is no substitute for a backup, especially one off site in a secure location. It is also not a 100% solution for high availability. One of our companies in the UK had a RAID 5 array and one day they lost everything. It was not a drive problem but a bad controller that wrote garbage to everything. We did complete system backups every night so the only thing that was lost and had to be reentered after the tape restore was the transactions that happened that morning before the crash. Good data security is a layered approach. We also had another company that had a RAID array and one drive failed which was no problem because the drives were hot swappable and the new drive was put in and the array rebuilt with no problems. However, three days after the new drive was installed, another drive failed. If that second drive had failed before the other bad one was replaced and the array had been rebuilt, everything would have been lost.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2023, 10:38 pm 

tomp wrote:
8< snip............ snip 8< We also had another company that had a RAID array and one drive failed which was no problem because the drives were hot swappable and the new drive was put in and the array rebuilt with no problems. However, three days after the new drive was installed, another drive failed. If that second drive had failed before the other bad one was replaced and the array had been rebuilt, everything would have been lost.

When someone else is paying (and the need is there....) it's always RAID 6 and hot spares.
None of this applies to mix4fix, I suspect. For one thing, he's paying for it. LOL

Last edited by FerdinandII on August 17th, 2023, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2023, 10:46 pm 

All I want is the little bit of music I converted from CD to digital to be overly backed up.

I don't really need it to be login secure, it will be off most of the time.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2023, 10:26 am 

tomp wrote:
RAID is generally good but as Ray said it is no substitute for a backup, especially one off site in a secure location. It is also not a 100% solution for high availability. One of our companies in the UK had a RAID 5 array and one day they lost everything. It was not a drive problem but a bad controller that wrote garbage to everything. We did complete system backups every night so the only thing that was lost and had to be reentered after the tape restore was the transactions that happened that morning before the crash. Good data security is a layered approach. We also had another company that had a RAID array and one drive failed which was no problem because the drives were hot swappable and the new drive was put in and the array rebuilt with no problems. However, three days after the new drive was installed, another drive failed. If that second drive had failed before the other bad one was replaced and the array had been rebuilt, everything would have been lost.

Hmmm. You can't write over LPs or CDs. :wtf:

PostPosted: August 18th, 2023, 10:42 am 

If you put files on CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray you need to use archival media or the files might disappear in a decade or two. Archival media is good for a century or more.

https://www.amazon.com/M-DISC-Blu-ray-Inkjet-Permanent-Archival/dp/B00K0S7GCW?th=1