DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 13th, 2023, 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Pickup up a pair of SMGbs on the way up to WI for the annual family reunion... They needed the bass panel wires re-glued, but they're repaired now, and sounding pretty good driven by a Wadia 151 powerDAC. Next up will be some xover upgrades and better support, but those will have to wait until I get home...

Attachments:
SMGb-Before.jpeg
SMGb-Before.jpeg [ 251.81 KiB | Viewed 36977 times ]

PostPosted: July 13th, 2023, 12:16 pm 

Nice!

PostPosted: July 18th, 2023, 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Made some new stands yesterday, based on the design here:https://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue4/magnapan1.htm Not as robust as I'd like, but a step in the right direction... The selection of shelf brackets here in the north woods isn't exactly stellar...

Attachments:
IMG_0636.jpeg
IMG_0636.jpeg [ 2.57 MiB | Viewed 36936 times ]

PostPosted: July 18th, 2023, 5:27 pm 

I had a pair of Maggie llla's that I rebuilt including replacing the MDF frame with a hardwood.
I found the biggest problem was that the speakers were only supported at the bottom allowing the tops to move about pretty freely.
I finally added a third leg from the center of the top to the floor.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2023, 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

I'll probably run supports on both sides from part way up to the back of the stands. Different approach to the same problem...

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 19th, 2023, 10:40 am 

I recall being in the Cardas room at one of the CES shows and they were using Maggies, don't remember which ones, but they had made a rigid frame that supported them over the entire length. I think it was Cardas. This frame effectively coupled the top of the speaker to the floor with some sort of flying buttress. This was a fantastic improvement to the sound. I had Maggies myself and I was familiar with their sound in stock form.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2023, 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

I've read on-line (so it must be true, right?) that George had 3.5Rs.. I had MG-IIBs back in the 80's, but they were also completely stock...

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 20th, 2023, 6:32 am 

I had the Maggie MGIIB's in the '80s.

The one mod I made was to change out the Mylar tweeter cap for a Polypropylene cap of the same value. Sounded a lot cleaner than the original.

Their passive crossover to use them with a subwoofer made it pretty easy to integrate the system with the Hafler DH200 and DH220 amps.

Only drawback was a peak in response at 6KHz that I used a Hafler DH330 EQ to flatten. Sounded better, but the EQ really effected sound quality more.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2023, 8:19 am 

John Broskie told me the same in an email some years ago: he aimed a laser at the upper end of his Maggies with a mirror attached, and at such an angle that movement was amplified. He claimed he saw a lot of movement during playing. His solution was to connect the upper edge of the baffles to a fixed horizontal surface in the house. IIRC.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2023, 10:19 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Pickup up a pair of SMGbs on the way up to WI for the annual family reunion... They needed the bass panel wires re-glued, but they're repaired now, and sounding pretty good driven by a Wadia 151 powerDAC. Next up will be some xover upgrades and better support, but those will have to wait until I get home...

Hi Roscoe — how did you relaminate the thing? Aren’t those traces (wires) supposed to be bonded to a Mylar substrate? Apologies if I am hitting your mantra.