DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2023, 4:50 pm 

tomp wrote:
I do but it contains no in line resistors, inductors, or capacitors. Only one very low resistance relay contact, and that is because I am perhaps overly cautious.

How we overlook all the parts (good or bad) in the printed-circuit electronic crossover circuits that lies between the preamp and power amps. :wtf:

Really?! :naughty:

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2023, 6:41 pm 

There are a lot of parts in the DSP section, but Dave was talking about the path from amps to drivers. BTW, one of the guys from the Philly group who has spent a lot of time on his system with no digital but lots of vacuum tubes and tweaks came over the other day and after listening to my system and room made several comments. One was that he had never heard solid state sound so good. He also said he had never heard his music so real that it sounded like when he heard the groups live. After playing a lot of his favorite music, he turned to me with a big grin on his face and said "Damn you". Best response I ever had about how effective the system is. I have been helping him lately and loaned him the Cherry Bomb JFET amp to replace his single ended triode amp and we also put in some DSP. When he realized the number of times he went down the expensive rabbit hole, he again looked at me with a big grin and said "I hate you." He is exceptionally happy with the changes and I left the Cherry Bomb for him to play with.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2023, 3:12 pm 

Tom, I'm sure you are right that good passive speaker level crossovers are hard to design. However, after seeing Dhar's results, the proof of his hard work is evident with excellent results. I'm sure you'll agree, he is a talented and very smart guy.

I've watched the YouTube videos by Danny Richie where he goes over a wide variety of commercial speakers sent to him and dramatically improves their performance.

A great designer can create a passive crossover tailored to the specific speakers that will out perform a line level crossover designed to standard filter alignments.

In fact, Danny mentioned Rich Hollis as being the creator of the only digital crossovers that approached the performance levels of his passive crossovers. He admitted that Rich's efforts were a couple of years old and that he may have done even better since .

My point is that I thought like you, that because of better quality components at line level, that a bi or tri amped system would be superior. But seeing the approach of ignoring standard filter alignments and fitting the drivers /enclosures with "what they want", can result in excellent performance.

I'm clearly not the one to be able to do that, but Danny and Dhar have shown that they can.

Jim made a really great choice in partnering wirh Dhar for his project!

I'm excited to hear the results one day soon!

PostPosted: March 4th, 2023, 4:05 pm 

Stuart:
No doubt that passive crossovers can be very good. I've heard speakers like the big Tidals that use passives that are quite amazing. I have also heard some of Dhar's earlier speakers and they were vey good. I'm sure his recent projects are even better. As I have said many times before, regardless of the technology involved, if you do it right the sound will be great. With some technologies it is more difficult and expensive to get it right.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2023, 5:51 pm 

I have to give a shout out to Dhar. He helped me with the crossovers for my speakers and it made the difference between good and great.