DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2023, 9:46 am 

HAL wrote:
Stuart Polansky wrote:
Attachment:
7kd73v.jpg

I have learned my lesson. My audio room is now flooded and my two 6x12 raw sub cabinets and amp boxes in "water resistant" MDF are toast. Everything that was painted is fine. Now I build them and take them to painting before anything else. UGH!!! :(

Couldn't your sump pump keep up with the volume? I did a study for an past girl-friend after she flooded a second time after a contractor put in a new sump well and pump. It was way undersized. The contractor provided 1/4-hp sump pump and appropriate sump well -- she needed 1-hp beast.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2023, 9:53 am 

Stuart,
We already replaced the foundation drain on that side of the house to try and fix it the first time it happened. Will not know more until we get everyone out of the room and see below the rug. Took 28 years to happen so whatever it is was slow in progression until the year we got 62in of rain, 50% more than any other year. Then things started happening. :(

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2023, 9:57 am 

HAL wrote:
Stuart,
We already replaced the foundation drain on that side of the house to try and fix it the first time it happened. Will not know more until we get everyone out of the room and see below the rug. Took 28 years to happen so whatever it is was slow in progression until the year we got 62in of rain, 50% more than any other year. Then things started happening. :(

Also -- you might want to look at your landscape. If you don't slope away from your foundation sheet-flow during a rain will have its way with your foundation.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2023, 9:59 am 

Still waiting on the excavation company to call to see about the slope on that side of the house. Been 2 days since I called. Will try again today and if no response, try someone else.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2023, 10:32 am 

HAL wrote:
Still waiting on the excavation company to call to see about the slope on that side of the house. Been 2 days since I called. Will try again today and if no response, try someone else.

Good luck with that. They don't like small jobs. Maybe a landscape company.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2023, 11:12 am 

SoundMods wrote:
HAL wrote:

Thanks,

It is not a small job. About 70 ft x 30 ft of regrading and possibly more with adding multiple tons of top soil. Will contact landscaping if they do not respond. Luckily multiple excavators and landscapers in the area.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2023, 11:28 am 

HAL wrote:
SoundMods wrote:
HAL wrote:

Thanks,

It is not a small job. About 70 ft x 30 ft of regrading and possibly more with adding multiple tons of top soil. Will contact landscaping if they do not respond. Luckily multiple excavators and landscapers in the area.

Rather than spending a boat load of money for a complete regrading you could just build a protective berm that could redirect the sheet flow during a storm past your house.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2023, 4:40 pm 

Where we live in Australia by the sea, there is a possibility of flooding in the ground floor units if a 100-year cyclone lingers at high tide. One solution is to use these.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Quick-Dam-Flood-Barrier-Pack/dp/B07T6NMZFK?th=1

ray

PostPosted: May 4th, 2023, 7:26 am 

ratbagp wrote:
Where we live in Australia by the sea, there is a possibility of flooding in the ground floor units if a 100-year cyclone lingers at high tide. One solution is to use these.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Quick-Dam-Flood-Barrier-Pack/dp/B07T6NMZFK?th=1

ray

Ray,
Thanks for the info!

Those look like a great way to control it in case of future problems. Will get some as preventative measures for the future.

We live in an area with a lot of water around and had hurricanes over the years in the area. These make a lot of sense. :)

PostPosted: May 4th, 2023, 3:40 pm 

I feel for you, HAL, and I have no idea how to help you. Foundation problems can be a bear to resolve.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next