DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fostex cap
PostPosted: February 4th, 2022, 12:57 am 

If you have a DAC or preamp that can use a 250VDC output cap, I can't recommend these highly enough:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/f ... capacitor/

Energy, clarity, transparency, along with wonderful body and fullness. They sound a bit tight at first but after a few days they open up. They have transformed my Cary preamp, retaining the full body but with far more ease and transparency. They best the vastly more expensive V-Cap TCUF caps I was using before. Sadly, they've been discontinued. So if you're even *thinking* of a preamp or DAC project, I would grab a pair while they're still in stock. If they made them in higher voltages I would use them everywhere.

Post subject: Re: Fostex cap
PostPosted: February 4th, 2022, 8:42 am 

Interesting. The dielectric used is PPTA, aka Aramid Film (Kevlar), which makes this a rather exotic capacitor. There was a post on AA by Mark Kelly back in 2004 that says this material dielectric properties are better than polystyrene and almost as good as polypropylene and Teflon. The high tensile strength/low elongation would allow for a very tight wind, another important factor in capacitors. Materials like Teflon film cannot tolerate a lot of tension (think plumber's tape).

David

Post subject: Re: Fostex cap
PostPosted: February 4th, 2022, 11:26 am 

Grover Gardner wrote:
If you have a DAC or preamp that can use a 250VDC output cap, I can't recommend these highly enough:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/f ... capacitor/

Energy, clarity, transparency, along with wonderful body and fullness. They sound a bit tight at first but after a few days they open up. They have transformed my Cary preamp, retaining the full body but with far more ease and transparency. They best the vastly more expensive V-Cap TCUF caps I was using before. Sadly, they've been discontinued. So if you're even *thinking* of a preamp or DAC project, I would grab a pair while they're still in stock. If they made them in higher voltages I would use them everywhere.

Yet another cutting-edge product to make selection even more difficult. Just because they were good does not mean they sold. Too bad that -- the Fostex caps went the way of the OPPO players. :(