DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 7:16 pm 

Hi David,

You are more of a perfectionist than I am. I would just use DC-Link caps and a CCS.

I suspect that there are others who would find the diagrams interesting. I have learned so much from others who have taken the time to provide example diagrams and photos.

ray

PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 7:43 pm 

Ray,

Thanks for the explanation. This is the first time I am doing DIY from scratch.

The parts used in modelling are chosen as I already have them. If I need to change, I will.

I have one issue with your last post. With the CLC filter, you are getting 20mV ripple which is too much IMO. Any ripple in the DC gets integrated with the signal. This ripple is at the input of the preamp. By the time signal comes out of power amp, it would be amplified 3-4 times. The result would be a compromised microdynamics and soundstaging. With the parts I modelled, the swing is less than a micro Volt. There might be other issues with the power supply which need fixing.

I will model with smaller caps and inductors and see when it takes me.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 8:03 pm 

Gary Pimm wrote an article on the benefits of using a CCS years ago. I've used his boards numerous times and they are very convenient for setting your desired current.

https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/14_Books_Tech_Papers/Pimm_Gary/Active%20loads%20and%20signal%20current%20control.pdf

Part of his article has the following.

Quote:
The great power supply isolation provided by the CCS makes the design of the power
supply much less critical. Depending on the performance of the CCS, power supply
isolation of over 100dB is possible. It is not necessary to have super low ripple and noise
with this kind of isolation available.

ray

PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 8:15 pm 

The Akido circuit also rejects noise on the power supply......

PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 8:18 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
Gary Pimm wrote an article on the benefits of using a CCS years ago. I've used his boards numerous times and they are very convenient for setting your desired current.

https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/14_Books_Tech_Papers/Pimm_Gary/Active%20loads%20and%20signal%20current%20control.pdf

Quote:
The great power supply isolation provided by the CCS makes the design of the power
supply much less critical. Depending on the performance of the CCS, power supply
isolation of over 100dB is possible. It is not necessary to have super low ripple and noise

ray

One more thing to learn, CCS. Geez guys, this reminds me of college days.....

PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 9:07 pm 

It's like....HOMEWORK! :-P

PostPosted: October 29th, 2021, 4:29 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Shashi,

Also use the rectifiers you intend on using where possible, since it will model the drop across them as well as give you an indication of whether you are exceeding their current capability or PIV. Also, I find that using a 1000mS window is too wide and you cannot see what is happening for all the 120Hz ripple, I like to use a 200mS window. The only case I would use a longer window is if I wanted to see turn on behavior to see if the voltage spikes up excessively and how long does it take for the power supply to charge up.

It is a very useful tool.

David

Got rid of the ringing. AC ripple is 0.7 micro Volts. Does this look good enough?

Attachment:
lomu_ps3.jpg
lomu_ps3.jpg [ 150.9 KiB | Viewed 7033 times ]

Attachment:
lomu_ps3a.jpg
lomu_ps3a.jpg [ 149.25 KiB | Viewed 7033 times ]

PostPosted: October 29th, 2021, 5:14 pm 

Why not do tube recifier? I ended up with a 5Y3 LCLC PS and had to add a separate 12v filament tranny when I went to a 1626 tube. My advice is to put this on a large chassis which will allow you 1) the space to keep things apart when needed and 2) the space to move and/or add things around when needed.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2021, 5:16 pm 

ratbagp wrote:

Quote:

ray

Ok, I understand how CCS impacts the linestage and its advantages. Since I am planning on a regulated B+ and extremely low ripple and noise power supply, CCS is not advantages in those categories.

As of now, I am not convinced CCS is the right topology for my application.
My requirements:
    1. Low Distortion
    2. Low Noise
    3. Excellent Frequency Response
    4. Micro details
    5. Extremely low output impedance
    6. Lots of headroom for transients

My DAC puts out 2.8V for PCM and 1.45V for DSD over RCA. That's 6dB difference. To bring DSD to the same level as PCM with headroom, 9-10dB would be plenty of gain for my system, I think.

Going down my list:
1. Low Distortion - CCS has lower distortion
2. Low Noise - CCS has higher SNR
3. Excellent Frequency Response - CCS has narrower bandwidth due to greater sensitivity to load capacitance
4. Micro details - CCS and Resistive load should be same
5. Extremely low output impedance - CCS impedance is about 1K (Rp). Not sure the impedance of resistive load topology. This is important to me because the preamp needs to feed 5 amps. Transformer coupling instead of CCS or tube buffer stage?
6. Lots of headroom for transients - CCS has limited headroom

May be it is my lack of understanding but CCS doesn't seem to provide the benefits I am looking for.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
Why not do tube recifier? I ended up with a 5Y3 LCLC PS and had to add a separate 12v filament tranny when I went to a 1626 tube.

My understanding is, tube rectifiers sound softer than SS Shottky rectifiers. Once the transients are softened in the preamp, they are lost forever. No?
I will try tube rectifiers before finalizing. Stuart recommend damper diodes which I will try also.

Quote:
My advice is to put this on a large chassis which will allow you 1) the space to keep things apart when needed and 2) the space to move and/or add things around when needed.

Yes,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next