DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2021, 8:06 am 

Beautiful work Paul!

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2021, 9:01 am 

Thanks Stuart
I think the cherry supports are a bit horsy, but I wanted it to be solid

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2021, 4:38 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
Thanks Stuart
I think the cherry supports are a bit horsy, but I wanted it to be solid

You are welcome. You mentioned in the post regarding the Ethernet noise reducer that everything makes a difference, even the rack, to paraphrase. I know this to be true.

I was wondering if you heard any changes from your previous rack, what the previous rack was, and how you'd characterize the changes heard using the new rack?

Stuart

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2021, 7:46 pm 

My previous rack was the very cheap and crappy Pangea that was lent to me.
Since I knew the rack was terrible I did things to dampen and isolate the equipment.
I have discovered that the rubber feet under most equipment is the culprit. I use hard wood blocks underneath everything. And I dampen casework.I also add mass where I can.
So I am not going to say the new rack sounds better, because I still do all those other tweaks and I can not imagine much change

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 7:58 am 

If you can, you might consider moving the equipment to another room where the airborne vibrations are much less. Except for my turntable and preamp, I have most of my equipment in the basement with speaker cables coming through the walls. The rack photo shows the three amps used in the tri-amp configuration, the speaker protection unit, the power supply for the preamp, the AC power monitor and soft start circuit, the crossovers, the wireless link for the IR remotes, the DEQX Express II, the 2 NUC music servers, the DAX88 whole house music system controller, and the UPS for the NUCs. Not shown is the recent addition of the noise filter between the NUC switch mode power supply and the NUC.

Tom

Attachments:
IMG_0134_small.jpg
IMG_0134_small.jpg [ 582.52 KiB | Viewed 5115 times ]

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 12:30 pm 

The best rack -- is none at all. My house is my rack. :music-listening:

Attachments:
System Rear View 04_27_21.jpg
System Rear View 04_27_21.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 5107 times ]
System Front View 04_27_21.jpg
System Front View 04_27_21.jpg [ 971.83 KiB | Viewed 5107 times ]

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 6:40 pm 

tomp wrote:
If you can, you might consider moving the equipment to another room where the airborne vibrations are much less. Except for my turntable and preamp, I have most of my equipment in the basement with speaker cables coming through the walls. The rack photo shows the three amps used in the tri-amp configuration, the speaker protection unit, the power supply for the preamp, the AC power monitor and soft start circuit, the crossovers, the wireless link for the IR remotes, the DEQX Express II, the 2 NUC music servers, the DAX88 whole house music system controller, and the UPS for the NUCs. Not shown is the recent addition of the noise filter between the NUC switch mode power supply and the NUC.

Tom

Tom,

What are you using for speaker cables and what is the approximate length?

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 7:30 pm 

The cable I used in wall is from Belden and has a CL3 fire rating. If you are going to use in wall wire you are not supposed to use cable designed for in room use. It is 12 ga two conductor. The runs were about 15 feet to the left speaker and 20 feet to the right speaker. The wires were terminated to wall plates that had Speakon jacks. From there I used regular 12 gauge jacketed cable to the speakers that also have Speakon connectors. Here is a link to the in wall cable.

Tom

https://catalog.belden.com/techdata/EN/ ... chdata.pdf

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 9:46 pm 

Tom,

Thanks. I was going to try some 10 gauge speaker wire from Amazon like:

https://www.amazon.com/InstallGear-Gaug ... 825&sr=8-5

Since I am operating in the dark, I assumed I would have to test several long lengths (30-40 ft.) of different speaker wire before installing the best and affordable one in the walls, so any recommendations are welcome.

My current speaker cables are 12 ft. MIT Music Hose from the 1980's.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2021, 7:24 am 

You can get the Belden in 10 gauge as well. It is CL2 rated. The difference is CL3 is rated to 300 volts and the CL2 to 150 volts. Either should work for you.

Tom

https://www.parts-express.com/Belden-5T ... 2-102-1190

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next