DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2021, 9:22 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
These two experiences have brought me the decision to give up on this reviewing gig. It’s all lies, more smoke and mirrors that the manufacturers do.

Appreciate your honesty and integrity.

Reviewers need to make a living. And the living largely is funded by advertisements. Manufacturers advertise. That explains why we hardly see any negative reviews.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2021, 9:26 am 

I mean Steve Guttenberg thinks Klipsch Cornwall IV is a great speaker

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 3:06 pm 

There are a few things not being discussed that might make a difference in how the DEQX system like my old PDC2.6 were used and how they sound.

The system offers different types of filter topologies, linear phase and more conventional Butterworth and Linkwitz-Reily alignments. When I was using it the linear phase style filters just never sounded like real world music signals to me. When I used the more conventional filters types, it sounded much better, but then there is still the internal DAC's reconstruction filters hard fixed in their design. I really prefer to see the direct impulse response of the filter, not its frequency response as it is easy to tell which it uses. A causal filter (i.e.analog filter) always starts working after the signal starts.

If you look at many of the latest DAC's out there, you will find linear phase, minimum phase and apodising filter topologies in use for the DAC reconstruction filter. Any DAC I have used recently that has the filter selection I will try them all, and all of the time do not use the linear phase selection. From research papers over 10 years ago, a non-causal filter as in linear phase confuses the ear-brain system since the signal starts before the musical transient. You can do that in a digital system, but nothing in the real world does it. So one easy way to try this is to just hear the DAC and it's filters one at a time. Wolfson, AKM, TI and ESS DAC's all have filter selections available if the mfg chooses to make them available to the user.

This goes for any DSP crossover filter design as well. I had the chance to ask about the Meridian DSP speaker design crossover once and the design is not linear phase for the reasons above.

You also have to know if the system uses an ASRC, as many of them also use a linear phase filter design as in the DCX2496. A reason that I did not like the DCX2496 as well was the DAC's.

The DSP crossovers I am using do not have linear phase filters and the DAC's have selectable filter types for that reason using the minimum phase version. They also have improved filter topologies over classical methods as that lead to lower distortion from the filters.

The fact that it is easy to do time alignment of drivers with a DSP crossover is a major plus to me. The system coherence goes up considerably. It is also easy to demo it as you can dial in none and the correct time alignment to hear it. Trying that with analog filters is very difficult as usually you can match phase at crossover frequency, but not wavefront.

Good luck with the new crossover design.

My $0.02.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 3:43 pm 

Gee, I'm off line for a couple of days and I missed all sorts of good stuff. The lightning storm we had Tuesday night took out our FIOS interface, my main 48 port LAN switch, a smaller LAN switch, and my primary PC. I've been scrambling to get everything back up and running on my end, Verizon didn't show up until yesterday afternoon. Anyway, I'd like to make a few points...

- I use Linkwitz Riley filters in the DEQX
- I use Linkwitz Riley filters in the passive crossovers, same slopes
- There is no noise coming out of the DEQX, unless you play crappy 'music'.
- I'm not dropping the DEQX in favor of a passive crossover. I want to be able to use the speakers with a single amplifier, but that may end up not being the norm.
- I am not a DEQXpert. I've played around with some of its capabilities, but I prefer to try to get the most out of my system with the least amount of processing.
- While I wouldn't bet my life on it, I'm 99% sure the NOS mode on the Holo Audio DAC's are No OverSampling, it does not mean there's nothing else going on in delivering the signal out the analog connections. There is absolutely a low pass filter at all times.
- My preference is to use no equalization. In the end I may have to to get the last degree out of the system, but hopefully not.
- There are so many things that affect what and how we hear and a lot of those things change on a daily, if not hourly, basis. One of those influences, which doesn't change as quickly, is a preconceived notion of what sounds good and what does not - prejudice. I've found that this group, in particular, has a hard time listening without prejudice.
- I'd love to hear what the thread participants have to say in a true blind listening session, I suspect the results will surprise you.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 4:43 pm 

Cogito wrote:
Reviewers need to make a living. And the living largely is funded by advertisements. Manufacturers advertise. That explains why we hardly see any negative reviews.

The reviewers and their associated magazines will claim that advertising is not the driving force of their reviews. They only print good reviews. Sure -- Santa and the Easter Bunny are also real. If you read the reviews carefully -- and this goes for the British magazines as well -- you will find complaints ever so encrypted in the word salad in a way that the average audiophile could believe that in his/her's system all will be well and it's the best thing since sliced bread. In the case of the Absolute Sound -- you can read about the reviewer's systems -- you find that no systems are even close to similar and they range from very modest to $multi-thousand systems and everything in between. There is no reference system that the magazine uses as a base line. You read the reviews and get an idea of what to expect only if there is a consensus across many publications and independent reviewers evaluating the same component. And even then there is risk that if you lay down your cash you could still end up with a piece of crap. You have only to look at the used ads to see what not to buy. Audio shops hardly exist any longer and although audio shows are fun, they are not the means with which to make a decision as to how to spend your hard-earned cash. And people wonder why the DIY audio community thrives. We build -- we modify --we spend time rather than money to solve out reproduction problems. I wished Paul well with his reviewing endeavor -- but just like home inspections -- candor and honesty does not pay the bills. Paul tried to be unbiased and fair only to find out that the manufacturers already have a high opinion of their product line and who the hell he is to say otherwise?!

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 5:42 pm 

Quote:

We are talking about background noise, aka noise floor.

John Atkinson says:
Quote:
Other than the peculiar behavior of its noise floor with high-level, high-frequency signals, the DEQX PreMate, considered as a D/A processor, offers superb measured performance. That it also has an enormously flexible DSP engine is a bonus!

Also look at the stereophile's jitter comparison between DEQX Premate and Holo Spring below . Since we are literally comparing these two gizmos, jitter could have influenced my subjective impression.

DEQX:
Attachment:
deqx_jitter.jpg
deqx_jitter.jpg [ 49.63 KiB | Viewed 4911 times ]

https://www.stereophile.com/content/all ... urements-0

Spring:
Attachment:
Spring_jitter.jpg
Spring_jitter.jpg [ 50.3 KiB | Viewed 4911 times ]

https://www.stereophile.com/content/hol ... asurements

Quote:
- While I wouldn't bet my life on it, I'm 99% sure the NOS mode on the Holo Audio DAC's are No OverSampling, it does not mean there's nothing else going on in delivering the signal out the analog connections. There is absolutely a low pass filter at all times.

NOS applies only to digital signals. Almost all DACs have analog output stage.

Quote:
- I'd love to hear what the thread participants have to say in a true blind listening session, I suspect the results will surprise you

Didnt I say mids are clearer in Dhar's crossover blindly?
I am sure we can pick up presence/absence of DEQX also blindly.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 7:55 pm 

DaveR wrote:
Gee, I'm off line for a couple of days and I missed all sorts of good stuff. The lightning storm we had Tuesday night took out our FIOS interface, my main 48 port LAN switch, a smaller LAN switch, and my primary PC. I've been scrambling to get everything back up and running on my end, Verizon didn't show up until yesterday afternoon. Anyway, I'd like to make a few points...

- I use Linkwitz Riley filters in the DEQX
- I use Linkwitz Riley filters in the passive crossovers, same slopes
- I'm not dropping the DEQX in favor of a passive crossover. I want to be able to use the speakers with a single amplifier, but that may end up not being the norm.
- I am not a DEQXpert. I've played around with some of its capabilities, but I prefer to try to get the most out of my system with the least amount of processing.
- My preference is to use no equalization. In the end I may have to to get the last degree out of the system, but hopefully not.
- There are so many things that affect what and how we hear and a lot of those things change on a daily, if not hourly, basis. One of those influences, which doesn't change as quickly, is a preconceived notion of what sounds good and what does not - prejudice. I've found that this group, in particular, has a hard time listening without prejudice.
- I'd love to hear what the thread participants have to say in a true blind listening session, I suspect the results will surprise you.

I have done true blind tests on different DAC's in the past and heard a difference. Also sent a DAC to a blind test and that DAC with the minimum phase filters was selected as the best sounding of the group. YMMV

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6