DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 16th, 2021, 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Posts: 599
Pete,

Why don't you try it out on the Pi I lent you. I gave you an extra SDCard, just blow that away and try VitOS and report. The next thing you need is a better power supply for the RPi4. All my 5V LPS are tied up in my system, however, I believe I have a iPower 5V 3A switcher, and a iFi DC Purifier 2 that should clean up the supply more than the generic switcher supply I provided with the Pi. You can try that. OR, I have a battery pack that with the iFi DC Purifier 2 could provide clean power for the Pi, at least while the battery lasts. You are welcome to try that as well.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 11:25 am 
Offline

Joined: March 12th, 2013, 11:12 am
Posts: 657
I'll try the VitOS. Maybe grab that ipower SMPS at some point. Thanks again.

David McGown wrote:
Pete,

Why don't you try it out on the Pi I lent you. I gave you an extra SDCard, just blow that away and try VitOS and report. The next thing you need is a better power supply for the RPi4. All my 5V LPS are tied up in my system, however, I believe I have a iPower 5V 3A switcher, and a iFi DC Purifier 2 that should clean up the supply more than the generic switcher supply I provided with the Pi. You can try that. OR, I have a battery pack that with the iFi DC Purifier 2 could provide clean power for the Pi, at least while the battery lasts. You are welcome to try that as well.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 11:55 am 
Offline

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Posts: 599
Pete,

Just checked, and my iPower SMPS is only rated at 2.5A rather than the 3A needed by the RPi4. It may have problems with supplying 5V to the Pi under heavy current demands (the Pi will fail to boot if the power supply does not meet min voltage). I do have a 5V/4.3A SMPS that with the iFi DC Purifier 2 should provide most of the benefits of the iPower SMPS. I was using the iPower SMPS + DC Purfiier 2 in series for a while on the Qutest.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 12th, 2013, 11:12 am
Posts: 657
No worries. I have a Keces P8 enroute, so will see what that does for my Nucleus.



David McGown wrote:
Pete,

Just checked, and my iPower SMPS is only rated at 2.5A rather than the 3A needed by the RPi4. It may have problems with supplying 5V to the Pi under heavy current demands (the Pi will fail to boot if the power supply does not meet min voltage). I do have a 5V/4.3A SMPS that with the iFi DC Purifier 2 should provide most of the benefits of the iPower SMPS. I was using the iPower SMPS + DC Purfiier 2 in series for a while on the Qutest.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Posts: 599
Does the Keces P8 have enough current on the 5V USB output to power an RPi4? Looks pretty good for powering a Nucleus, that I am sure is a step in the right direction.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 4:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Posts: 599
Pete,

On another note, I am finishing up the second Pass Amp Camp Amp in the next couple of days, and will have them run as monoblocks. Welcome to borrow them (and my Hybrid stereo amp) if you would like to listen to them sometime.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 12th, 2013, 11:12 am
Posts: 657
Unfortunately no. It is 5v 1A out and a 19v 10A output. I sort of wonder if I should have gone for the Plex300 which had 12v, 19v and 2 adj out 1-5v. The Keces just looked nicer for the Nucleus. Oh well, maybe get plex300 at some point to use as an experimental PS if I keep messing with stuff.

David McGown wrote:
Does the Keces P8 have enough current on the 5V USB output to power an RPi4? Looks pretty good for powering a Nucleus, that I am sure is a step in the right direction.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 12th, 2013, 11:12 am
Posts: 657
I will certainly take you up on this offer, thanks. I have had my eye on the Camp Amps for a while. Listening to your pair in my system would really help me to make a decision. :obscene-drinkingcheers:


David McGown wrote:
Pete,

On another note, I am finishing up the second Pass Amp Camp Amp in the next couple of days, and will have them run as monoblocks. Welcome to borrow them (and my Hybrid stereo amp) if you would like to listen to them sometime.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 7:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Posts: 599
Pete,

The ACA are a fun little build, and the first one I built sounds pretty good at my music workstation driving my Aria 5R monitors (4 ohm, 95 dB) in stereo mode. Sounds like a SE tube amp (it is a SE Mosfet amp, of course) I did one upgrade on the output coupling cap but otherwise stock. A good weekend (or two weekend project if you stretch it out).

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 19th, 2021, 1:40 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 10:38 am
Posts: 1420
Did you build this version of the ACA https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_amp_camp_1.pdf or is there a later version?

Roscoe

_________________
I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group