DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 7:12 pm 

HAL, this is interesting. I'll have to chase this rabbit more in the future. Thanks!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

HAL wrote:
I will just post this just incase.

The new Rock Pi X SBC from Seeedstudio is a Intel Atom based machine with 4GB of RAM and 32GB eMMC for OS. Have one here loaded with Windows 10 Home 64Bit OS and running well. Has more CPU capability than the RPi4 and does not have USB audio problems that I was having with the RPi4 running Raspbian Buster. They are $75 from Seeedstudio with out case, heatsink or power supply. You supply the OS. Linux will run, but I am not a Linux guy. It runs at 1.4GHz CPU clock without the heatsink.

https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Desktop- ... B07QY8LDGX

Same CPU, with PS, case & heat sink, larger eMMC ;)

Roscoe

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 8:02 pm 

The principal issue I have with the SBC is that they do not have an expansion bus (PCIe) that allows using very low jitter JCAT or SoTM USB and Ethernet cards, powered via external LPS DC supplies for ultimate performance. It may be possible to attach an adapter cable to bus board connector normally used for a Wireless adapter or SS card drive.

David

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 9:46 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
HAL wrote:
I will just post this just incase.

The new Rock Pi X SBC from Seeedstudio is a Intel Atom based machine with 4GB of RAM and 32GB eMMC for OS. Have one here loaded with Windows 10 Home 64Bit OS and running well. Has more CPU capability than the RPi4 and does not have USB audio problems that I was having with the RPi4 running Raspbian Buster. They are $75 from Seeedstudio with out case, heatsink or power supply. You supply the OS. Linux will run, but I am not a Linux guy. It runs at 1.4GHz CPU clock without the heatsink.

https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Desktop- ... B07QY8LDGX

Same CPU, with PS, case & heat sink, larger eMMC ;)

Roscoe

I have the 4GB/128GB Rock Pi X version for development. It is a lot smaller than that.

Attachments:
HAL MS-6 side-small.jpg
HAL MS-6 side-small.jpg [ 548.69 KiB | Viewed 5346 times ]

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 9:52 pm 

David McGown wrote:
The principal issue I have with the SBC is that they do not have an expansion bus (PCIe) that allows using very low jitter JCAT or SoTM USB and Ethernet cards, powered via external LPS DC supplies for ultimate performance. It may be possible to attach an adapter cable to bus board connector normally used for a Wireless adapter or SS card drive.

David

The Rock Pi X has a GPIO for expansion use. Most need a USB2 Audio connection. I am going for a more direct connection to the CPU bypassing USB. I use a iFi iPower X 9VDC very low noise power supply for the entire system. Probably as low noise as the system you are using for USB.

Agree no PCIe for expansion is a problem for some, including RPi4.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 10:58 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Guy,

One thing I haven't even attempted is dubbing vinyl to hi-res digital. That is a lot of work, need a decent A/D (basically an audio interface like one would use for audio recording or a really good soundcard), software for de-clicking and separating tracks (Audacity), tagging. etc. I guess where it makes sense is if you have treasured recordings that have never been digitally remastered, but ripping vinyl instead of CD is a Realtime process, plus all the post production work. CDs are easy to rip, but I have stacks of them I still need to do but need manual tagging due to the fact they are not in a database like MusicBrainz, etc. I admit I never really got into cassette or reel-to-reel dubbing of my records back in the day...rather listen to the vinyl.

David

The small Focusrite interfaces are very nice. For ripping LPs I highly recommend VinylStudio. Many, many excellent features--you can connect to Discogs for track info, automatically split tracks, adjust track splitting, add album art, eliminate clicks, EQ, etc. And the Pro version offers DSD recording if your interface can do that. :-)

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 11:09 pm 

Grover,

I have the Focusrite Scarlett Solo, is that what you are talking about? Just curious, not sure I will start recording my collection (too much work!), but may be worth an experiment.

David

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 12:58 am 

David McGown wrote:
Grover,

I have the Focusrite Scarlett Solo, is that what you are talking about? Just curious, not sure I will start recording my collection (too much work!), but may be worth an experiment.

David

Yes, the Solo is a nice interface.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 8:21 am 

The Solo is a single channel in. I have been using the Scarlett 2i2 which is two channel as an interface for my testing with ARTA for years and it works well. Have not used it for ripping vinyl because that is such a chore I would rather play the vinyl directly for the few times I need to.

Tom

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 8:36 am 

I should have gotten a Scarlett 2+2, there ARE two channels on the Solo, but one is balanced mic with (optional) 48V phantom, and the other is 1/4", no phantom. The 2+2 has both on each channel. I would have to figure out if there is a difference in gain between the two channels and have different cable termination. Probably easier to get a 2+2. Oh well....

David

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next