DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daphile alternative
PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 2:37 am 

Is there an open source Daphile alternative?

Post subject: Re: Daphile alternative
PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 6:39 am 

Are you concerned about it being "Free to use", or "Freely Distributable".

Daphile is based the formerly commercial but now opensource "Logitech Media Server" and "Squeezelite". The developer has worked on developing a package that can be easily installed, configured and maintained headlessly through a web interface, and works well. He provides it free of charge to all for personal use, but not commercial use:

DAPHILE DISTRIBUTION IS MADE AVAILABLE FREE OF CHARGE FOR NON-COMMERCIAL PRIVATE
USE. ANY COMMERCIAL USAGE AND REDISTRIBUTION OF DAPHILE IN ANY FORM ARE STRICTLY
PROHIBITED.

I suspect that some of the reason it cannot be distributed in source code is that the code for playing MP3 files (for example) is restricted in a way that inhibits free distribution (but still available as source). Also, the developer has put alot of vision and personal effort to develop and maintain this project. He is making it free to use, but wants to maintain control.

You will be hard to find a system on running on x86 systems that is as easy to install and setup as Daphile. There are alternatives on the RaspberryPi (PiCorePlayer, for one), that does the same as Daphile. Any "open source" alternative is going to mean you have to manually install the components and get them to work headlessly. You can always install LMS and Squeezelite on top of a Linux distribution and build your own version. Or you can install a server backend to maintain and stream your library, and install a lightweight MPD based client, and control it through a phone, tablet, or web interface. But that alot of work.

So what are you looking for? There is alot of alternatives but it means getting your hands dirty.

David

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 8:56 am 

What Steve wants is for someone to hand him a working system for free.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 11:16 am 

Paul,

Yes I kind of get that impression, but there really is nothing easier than getting a Daphile system setup if using x86 hardware. There are downloadable versions for 64-bit systems, 64-bit with real time kernel, and a 32-bit version for legacy CPU, just make sure that your system is capable of running 64-bit (or 32-bit for older systems). I currently am using the 32-bit version on a Atom-based motherboard based CAPS 2 endpoint I built (i.e., just running Squeezelite and not LMS), pointing to a newly setup ROON ROCK on a NUC. I had LMS running on a Synology NAS before. As you have strongly suggested before, the EASIEST thing to do (and cheapest) is setup an RPi-based endpoint with any number of distributions (PiCorePlayer, Volumio, Moode, etc.) pointing to either an LMS or DNLA server backend with the music data. The can just be a NAS, or a computer setup as a server/streamer.

Since Steve seems to want to use legacy PC hardware, really Daphile is the best solution for him, and it can be configured to run as a single box server (i.e. with local storage and running LMS). I do not know what problem he has setting this up, maybe he can be specific on the hard spots he is running into loading and configuring it.

David

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 12:25 pm 

I am running two Intel NUCs with Daphile. One is for my main system and one is for my DAX88 whole house system. Both have 500GB SSDs for Daphile and my most often listened to music. I have had only one problem. For some reason the latest iteration of Windows Explorer will see the Daphile drives but will not let me copy the music files to them. Must have been one of the updates. I use an app called Beyond Compare 4 to do the copies. Works fine and can also provide sync info right down to the bit level.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 12:35 pm 

I thought Daphine was its own op sys where does windows explorer come int the picure

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 12:45 pm 

Tom,

I cannot advise since I do not use Daphile to serve out files. I believe Daphile uses CIFS so should be fully accessible via Windows. May need to check that you allow Read, Write, Modify access to the designated storage location(s) on the Daphile server.

As a reply to Paul's question, Daphile uses a legacy Windows file server system (CIFS), so browse-able via Windows File Explorer. You can access the drive contents, add to them, etc. from Windows computer on the network (usually) with no problem. This is good if you rip your CDs from a Windows machine using Exact Audio Copy or dbPowerAmp to have the best quality rips and metadata.

David

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 1:28 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
What Steve wants is for someone to hand him a working system for free.

Can you even have an intelligent discussion without attacking or insulting people?

:handgestures-thumbdown:

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 1:43 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Are you concerned about it being "Free to use", or "Freely Distributable".

Daphile is based the formerly commercial but now opensource "Logitech Media Server" and "Squeezelite". The developer has worked on developing a package that can be easily installed, configured and maintained headlessly through a web interface, and works well. He provides it free of charge to all for personal use, but not commercial use:

DAPHILE DISTRIBUTION IS MADE AVAILABLE FREE OF CHARGE FOR NON-COMMERCIAL PRIVATE
USE. ANY COMMERCIAL USAGE AND REDISTRIBUTION OF DAPHILE IN ANY FORM ARE STRICTLY
PROHIBITED.

I suspect that some of the reason it cannot be distributed in source code is that the code for playing MP3 files (for example) is restricted in a way that inhibits free distribution (but still available as source). Also, the developer has put alot of vision and personal effort to develop and maintain this project. He is making it free to use, but wants to maintain control.

You will be hard to find a system on running on x86 systems that is as easy to install and setup as Daphile. There are alternatives on the RaspberryPi (PiCorePlayer, for one), that does the same as Daphile. Any "open source" alternative is going to mean you have to manually install the components and get them to work headlessly. You can always install LMS and Squeezelite on top of a Linux distribution and build your own version. Or you can install a server backend to maintain and stream your library, and install a lightweight MPD based client, and control it through a phone, tablet, or web interface. But that alot of work.

So what are you looking for? There is alot of alternatives but it means getting your hands dirty.

David

I am trying to make a budget version using that Dell mini. I can't get the 32 bit Daphile to work so I am looking for something similar but smaller. I just need a simple way to play MP3s.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 2:06 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Tom,

I cannot advise since I do not use Daphile to serve out files. I believe Daphile uses CIFS so should be fully accessible via Windows. May need to check that you allow Read, Write, Modify access to the designated storage location(s) on the Daphile server.

As a reply to Paul's question, Daphile uses a legacy Windows file server system (CIFS), so browse-able via Windows File Explorer. You can access the drive contents, add to them, etc. from Windows computer on the network (usually) with no problem. This is good if you rip your CDs from a Windows machine using Exact Audio Copy or dbPowerAmp to have the best quality rips and metadata.

David

It used to work on both my wife's and my laptops. Mine uses Windows 10 Pro and she uses Windows 10 Home. Both have all the patches. It stopped working on both with no apparent changes unless they were part of a patch. Makes no difference because Beyond Compare does a much better job and is easier than Windows Explorer. Here is a screen shot of a compare of my backup music drive and one of the Daphile drives. The backup drive has 7028 files in 840 folders and what you see is the only difference between the two. You can decide whether you want to move any files in either direction. It also has an auto sync function but I chose to do it manually. The standard version is only $30.

https://www.scootersoftware.com/

Attachments:
Beyond compare screen shot.png
Beyond compare screen shot.png [ 50.7 KiB | Viewed 14395 times ]