DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Daphile alternative
PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 2:29 pm 

Tom,

It looks like you are using a tool that is designed for managing files across the Internet, not on LAN. It might have features that you find convenient, but is likely the wrong tool for the job.

I would recommend you get a NAS running RAID for redundancy and storing your music files at a central, manageable location. You can even use the NAS to run LMS or a DLNA server and use your current Daphile installations as endpoints. Or use one Daphile machine as the LMS server looking to the NAS for the files and the other Daphile machine as an endpoint. You just maintain the files on the NAS rather than having to compare and move them around between servers.

David

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 5:16 pm 

Thanks Dave but my backup scheme has two NAS drives but no RAID arrays. It is not slick but I had a problem once with our UK data center where we had a RAID 5 array but still lost everything because it was not a drive problem but a controller problem that wrote garbage to the disks. Fortunately we did a tape backup every night so only a partial day had to be restored from paper. In our US data center we also had a RAID 5 array and almost lost everything because we had one drive go down and the afternoon after the defective drive was replaced and the array rebuilt, a second drive failed. Very unusual but if the second drive failed a day earlier, we would have lost everything.

Another advantage of manually refreshing separate NAS drives is if you get a virus, it will not automatically propagate to the other drives in an array. Slow and clumsy but safe.

I prefer to have my most often used music on an internal SSD in the NUC to minimize latency. There are times when I use external storage on Daphile either from the NAS drive, a USB flash drive or a USB hard drive and it works well. I also have a copy on the NAS storage and a portable USB drive I can take on location. Beyond Compare works very well on a local network and I have not tried it with cloud storage. My offsite storage is a USB drive that I refresh from local backup data on the in house NAS and then bring it to a safe deposit box at the bank. Not likely to get hacked. Since moving I have not gotten a new safe deposit box so I am re-thinking that scheme.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 5:48 pm 

Foobar2000 is free and works great.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 5:50 pm 

tomp wrote:
David McGown wrote:
Tom,

I cannot advise since I do not use Daphile to serve out files. I believe Daphile uses CIFS so should be fully accessible via Windows. May need to check that you allow Read, Write, Modify access to the designated storage location(s) on the Daphile server.

As a reply to Paul's question, Daphile uses a legacy Windows file server system (CIFS), so browse-able via Windows File Explorer. You can access the drive contents, add to them, etc. from Windows computer on the network (usually) with no problem. This is good if you rip your CDs from a Windows machine using Exact Audio Copy or dbPowerAmp to have the best quality rips and metadata.

David

It used to work on both my wife's and my laptops. Mine uses Windows 10 Pro and she uses Windows 10 Home. Both have all the patches. It stopped working on both with no apparent changes unless they were part of a patch. Makes no difference because Beyond Compare does a much better job and is easier than Windows Explorer. Here is a screen shot of a compare of my backup music drive and one of the Daphile drives. The backup drive has 7028 files in 840 folders and what you see is the only difference between the two. You can decide whether you want to move any files in either direction. It also has an auto sync function but I chose to do it manually. The standard version is only $30.

https://www.scootersoftware.com/

Looks like it's similar to SyncBack. They have a free and a paid version. I use the paid version every day. It will sync locally or pretty much anywhere.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 6:41 pm 

I thought Foobar was an application, and not an OS.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 7:50 pm 

tomp wrote:
Thanks Dave but my backup scheme has two NAS drives but no RAID arrays. It is not slick but I had a problem once with our UK data center where we had a RAID 5 array but still lost everything because it was not a drive problem but a controller problem that wrote garbage to the disks. Fortunately we did a tape backup every night so only a partial day had to be restored from paper. In our US data center we also had a RAID 5 array and almost lost everything because we had one drive go down and the afternoon after the defective drive was replaced and the array rebuilt, a second drive failed. Very unusual but if the second drive failed a day earlier, we would have lost everything.

Another advantage of manually refreshing separate NAS drives is if you get a virus, it will not automatically propagate to the other drives in an array. Slow and clumsy but safe.

I prefer to have my most often used music on an internal SSD in the NUC to minimize latency. There are times when I use external storage on Daphile either from the NAS drive, a USB flash drive or a USB hard drive and it works well. I also have a copy on the NAS storage and a portable USB drive I can take on location. Beyond Compare works very well on a local network and I have not tried it with cloud storage. My offsite storage is a USB drive that I refresh from local backup data on the in house NAS and then bring it to a safe deposit box at the bank. Not likely to get hacked. Since moving I have not gotten a new safe deposit box so I am re-thinking that scheme.

Understand the problem with striped drives for RAID, I use disk mirroring (RAID 1) on my NAS, large drives are cheap, and it is an automatic backup of all the data. I have not run into latency issues personally, but I just upgraded to Fios Gigabit from Verizon and have hard wired connections to my endpoint. Pulling data off a network drive is pretty fast.

David