DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wizard of OZ
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 6:27 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
Being that you were standing in the middle of Roscoe's living room having this discussion, everybody was force to listen to it. You were louder than the stereo.

We couldn't mind our business because you are forcing on people.

If you want a quite listen to music, you can stay home and do it.

Audio meetings are social gatherings.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 7:10 pm 

Great.

Roscoe, turn the stereo off.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 7:30 pm 

It’s a tough thing, yes I like seeing and talking to the members. But I like listening also. We did spend some mouth shut time and listened to the different versions of a few tracks. When DB played that choral piece we all kept saying how great it was, and we kept saying how great it was, and we kept saying how great it was. I don’t think we ever heard more than 30 seconds before someone had to say how great it was.
At the DC Hi-Fi group we actually had a listening session.
We had meet and greet time, drank beer and ate pizza, then we sat down and listen to a whole track without saying a word. After the track was over we then had a discussion. Then we listened to another track. And so on.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 7:45 pm 

There are many times at any meeting whether the DC HiFI Group or DC Audio DIY that people take the opportunity to discuss various topics. That can and does interfere with listening. There were several times at Roscoe's where I was trying to listen and had other conversations about lots of things interfere. The solution is simple. If it really bothers you that much, politely ask the people holding the conversation to leave the listening room. It happens all the time.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 8:55 pm 

Conversation is great but it is also an indication that something needs to change, either the music or the equipment.

If possible it helps to have an area separate from the listening area for conversation because we all need an occasional break from listening. It also helps if we realize we are talking too much and move ourselves away from the listening area to the talking area. To use a current analogy, we need to quarantine ourselves occasionally.

ray

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 10:03 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
Being that you were standing in the middle of Roscoe's living room having this discussion, everybody was force to listen to it. You were louder than the stereo.

We couldn't mind our business because you are forcing on people.

You mean minding your business of grabbing a quick free meal and free electronic stuff and then leaving?!

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2020, 5:26 am 

I had to work that work that weekend. Can't control it. I also have been the first one arrived, and the last one to leave. I am also usually the first one who meets Roscoe at CAF and halls stuff in.

Actually, I didn't want to get in the way of your rudeness, so I left. Roscoe, I said turn off the stereo. He has to ruin it for everybody as usual.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2020, 9:28 am 

ratbagp wrote:
Conversation is great but it is also an indication that something needs to change, either the music or the equipment.

If possible it helps to have an area separate from the listening area for conversation because we all need an occasional break from listening. It also helps if we realize we are talking too much and move ourselves away from the listening area to the talking area. To use a current analogy, we need to quarantine ourselves occasionally.

ray

Good observations.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2020, 2:45 pm 

doug2761 wrote:
Family movie? I was a bit too young when my parents gathered our family to watch this movie. Scared the bejeezus out of me. Nightmares for weeks. Still can't watch it. This was second only to my other family movie fail when my first grade class did a field trip to see, "A Christmas Carol". The black and white scary as sh*te version. Another movie I can't watch.

Doug,

I don't mean to laugh at your childhood experiences, but that's great commentary. It's amazing the little things we hold onto deep in our psyche. Our parents were oblivious.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2020, 5:02 pm 

Laugh away. I put that comment out there hoping that folks would get a grin out of that. The field trip to, "A Christmas Carol", was the topper. My mom was not the kind of person to complain to our teachers knowing that we probably deserved whatever we got. That field trip got lots of parent calls. In today's world we would probably have had crisis counselors after that experience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next