Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Analog multi-meter

March 16th, 2020, 12:53 am

Tom gave me an old analog multi-meter. One thing I noticed was the lead connections look like banana plugs. I thought the leads on modern DMM (Fluke) was standard for every kind?

Put batteries in it (9V and AA) and tested it on ohms and VAC.

Re: Analog multi-meter

March 16th, 2020, 9:30 am

That meter is probably 30 years old so who knows what was used back then. I also have some older test equipment that has AC input sockets that are not used anymore. If the cords fail I will have to replace the input sockets with IEC sockets. Time marches on.

March 16th, 2020, 9:33 am

tomp wrote:That meter is probably 30 years old so who knows what was used back then. I also have some older test equipment that has AC input sockets that are not used anymore. If the cords fail I will have to replace the input sockets with IEC sockets. Time marches on.

PLUS -- it was FREE!!! In the realm of DIY you adapt -- you create -- you make it happen.

March 16th, 2020, 10:21 am

A 30 year old multimeter is before any safety standards/considerations to guard the male jack to prevent shock when inserting or removing leads. It is pretty typical for older multimeters and other test equipment to have a simple banana plugs or 3-way binding posts with banana plug leads.

Should be easy to find a pair of leads on Amazon.

David

March 16th, 2020, 12:57 pm

The original leads were with it.

March 16th, 2020, 1:32 pm

tomp wrote:The original leads were with it.

I expect that the multi-meter had pin jacks. Leads for those aren't easy to find but there is at least one listing on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HERMAN-H-SMITH ... SwsvZdMySW

March 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm

those are no good they are not free

March 16th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:those are no good they are not free

OH! My bad! :twisted:

March 17th, 2020, 8:53 am

Pelliott321 wrote:those are no good they are not free

Candidate for the "Best Post of 2020"!