DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 20th, 2019, 3:48 am 

Moving the topic here for discussion.

The drivers I have in there are the Pioneer Butyl I bought from Parts Express long ago. The speakers have been sitting in my room for a few years generally unused except for the occasional messing around. Now, one of the twelve's has an issue it. It will not play at first but will after you nudge the cone (hence, why I want to replace them). I really don't want to spend a ton of money on fixing them (hence, why I was hoping someone had a pair sitting around).

What is the cause-n-effect of having a woofer that doesn't play/play like that?

PostPosted: December 20th, 2019, 9:25 am 

Thinking through the issue, a couple things come to mind.

1. Is the suspension (spider) misaligned so the voice coil or former hangs up in the gap? Usually this is audible (voice coil scraping, so not sure about this. If there is electrical signal going through the coil then the motor should move. Another thought is maybe there is internal stuffing in the enclosure that is interfering with cone movement. In any case, worth an inspection to see if there is any physical impediment to cone movement or damage to the suspension.
2. Intermittent connection on the tinsel leads from terminals to the voice coil. Many worth touching up the connections at the terminals with a soldering iron. Check continuity.

Maybe you already did this, but if not, worth a try to see if the driver is OK or repairable. Since you know what driver you bought and and find data for it, is should make it easier to find a suitable replacement if you can get a good match on Thiele-Small parameters.

David

PostPosted: December 20th, 2019, 6:08 pm 

I bought the 12 inch Pioneers mainly because I bought the 8 inch butyl Pioneers for a vintage pair of Pioneers.

Of course, these speakers can only sound so great with it's overall design. I just want to make them functional again.