DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 2:50 pm 

Two diametrically opposed opponents (SET, 0NF vs solid state, push-pull, negative feedback). They actually got along pretty well!

Roscoe's build of the Jean Hiraga's Super Class A (they have that in common) Amplifier and my 2-stage 300B amps.

Both Roscoe and I were surprised at little the sound differed overall. The Super amp had a bit better low and highs, was extremely dynamic and fast sounding while the 300B sounded nicer in the mids and did a better job at presenting the music as a performance IMHO. The Roscoe Super build had no boutique parts and the first thing that pooped into both our minds (aside from PS storage possibilities) was ditching the silver coated input wire. Pretty promising start......

Makes me wonder about Hiraga's 8wpc Monster and how that would sound as a monoblock build in my system?

Attachments:
SS.jpg
SS.jpg [ 450.61 KiB | Viewed 9889 times ]

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 2:55 pm 

NICE!

Class A seems to be the big equalizer. Keeping most any amp away from cutting off one tube appears to minimize differences between topologies. Jim G. found that out and passed on that knowledge!

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 3:22 pm 

Good looking builds, congratulations

PostPosted: June 14th, 2019, 11:13 am 

Pete,

I have to drop by sometime with my Moskido for a hybrid perspective. Class A push pull Mosfet source follower output stage, tube input stage. I have not returned to a tube amp since putting in my system. When is a good time? Or you can stop by to hear in in-situ.

David

PostPosted: June 14th, 2019, 4:52 pm 

Dave,
Sounds fun. If you want my eval of the Moskido, it would probably have to be at my place since different systems present too many unfamiliar variables. But I am always happy to hear other systems too! This weekend is a no-go but some time during the next couple weeks is fine. I'll PM you and we can figure something out.

David McGown wrote:
Pete,

I have to drop by sometime with my Moskido for a hybrid perspective. Class A push pull Mosfet source follower output stage, tube input stage. I have not returned to a tube amp since putting in my system. When is a good time? Or you can stop by to hear in in-situ.

David

PostPosted: June 14th, 2019, 5:55 pm 

Sounds great! I am very interested in your impression of it. I should be pretty free the next couple of weekends.

David