DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SLOB for JE Labs baffle
PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 4:11 pm 

I'm seeking opinions/suggestions for an idea I have. I'd like to create a SLOB (slot-loaded open baffle), similar to the one Roscoe did, (http://dcaudiodiy.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=903) to sit on the floor, suitable for a JE Labs open baffle to sit on top of it. I think the idea would allow plenty of space on the top surface of the SLOB for woofer(s); obviously some attention would be paid to making sure the woofer driver doesn't run into the space for the open baffle upper driver. Would the JE Labs baffle and its wings provide enough separation/deflection of the back wave of the woofer?

I have a few options for drivers for this: Hawthorne Audio Augie - one pair each of the 15" and 10"; one or two pairs of Eminence Alpha 15A 15" drivers (I could swear I have two pairs around somewhere); two pairs of the Carver 12" high Qts flat cone drivers.

I was originally thinking about using the Carver drivers to make a sub under a pair of Quad ESL 57s, like the Gradient sub from a while back. (https://www.stereophile.com/subwoofers/ ... index.html) Then I realized that, because of the similar dimensions, it would also work for the JE Labs baffle. And then my slow thought process made me realize that the SLOB would make a lower profile and maybe even do a better job.

So I'm soliciting comments, suggestions, criticism, advice, etc. Fire away!

Thanks,
Pete

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Ought to work quite well. If you’re going to use 2 woofers/side, you need to put them side by side rather than front-to-back, two 15s might be a tight fit between the wings of the JE labs baffles. The Alpha 15s don’t have much in the way of Xmax... If you’re not adverse to buying woofers, the 18s I ended up with work quite well, and the Ultimax line look like good options as well. I assume you’re planning on separate amplification/eq for the woofers.

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 7:01 pm 

I have 8 Carver Amazing (Original with Silver Flat cone) in good condition

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 1:32 pm 

Thanks for the replies. Roscoe, I noticed the same thing - it might be a tight squeeze to get two drivers between the open baffle wings. I can do a search, but can you remind me which woofers you're using? I will definitely look at what's out there, but I probably should try to reduce/use what I have rather than adding to my supply of stuff! (Common problem, I know.) And yes, I plan on using separate amplification for the woofers - not sure about how I will crossover. I might explore no high pass, out of laziness and signal purity, but I have a few electronic crossovers around so I'm sure I'll experiment as well.
Pelliott321 (Sorry, I don't know your real name), for the same reason as above I shouldn't ask, but what would you want to get for those 8 Carver drivers? It sounds like they match mine. Maybe instead of the ground level SLOB like Roscoe's I might look into the Pass/jc morrison AMT-type of vertical SLOB with more drivers.
Pete

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... m--295-042 but it turns out they're no longer available....

These might be a better choice anyway, but they're not free ;) https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... l--295-518

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 2:07 pm 

this is what the Carvers look like I have eight

Attachments:
carver4_sm.jpg
carver4_sm.jpg [ 652.47 KiB | Viewed 10647 times ]
carver2_sm.jpg
carver2_sm.jpg [ 822.56 KiB | Viewed 10647 times ]
carver1_SM.jpg
carver1_SM.jpg [ 535.7 KiB | Viewed 10647 times ]