Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

whole house.

May 8th, 2019, 11:47 am

getting ready to set up three rooms for audio. would like to be able to play lossless through separates.Was thinking squeezebox or a pi set up.Thought I remembered a thread on here about it but can't find it now. Newb.

Re: whole house.

May 8th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Do you want the same music in all three rooms, different music, or the ability to decide on the fly?

Roscoe

May 8th, 2019, 12:49 pm

ideally i would like the most flexibility. but i am willing to go push a switch if it is too difficult, expensive. Wouldlike to control at least volume from my phone. Have a couple pairs of good in wall speakers and some amps and other equipment lying around.

May 8th, 2019, 12:57 pm

being able to play different songs in different rooms at the same time is a low priority.

May 8th, 2019, 1:11 pm

I think easiest is to with NAS and wireless network servers as in Raspberry pi plus dac then powered speakers. Fairly simple and cheap.
Pi plus dac is under $100

May 8th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Is this going to be more in the realm of background music or serious listening? If the former you might want to look at the device I will be installing in my new house. You will still need a source or sources but everything is taken care of by this device.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... c--300-585

This will not replace my main system but will be more than adequate for music in my workshop, exercise room, covered porch, etc.

May 8th, 2019, 8:01 pm

backround listening. have a dedicated tube amp/AN speaker listening system. But I want it to be decent. have ML and MK in walls i will drive with mid grade nad and parasound amp.

May 8th, 2019, 8:06 pm

tomp wrote:Is this going to be more in the realm of background music or serious listening? If the former you might want to look at the device

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... c--300-585

This seems like mainly amplification.which i won't need. most interested in an orderly way to get my files playing out of my several in walls. preferably by using an app on my phone or possibly a remote.

May 8th, 2019, 8:18 pm

I'll second the NAS suggestion. Just got mine all configured thanks to several members. Great sound using BubbleUpnP on the phone, Minimserver in the NAS and a CAPS style PC running Linux Mint and MPD as a renderer. But of course the Raspberry Pi solution is less expensive.

What's really cool is access to the music from anywhere you have an internet connection.

May 8th, 2019, 8:20 pm

A NAS and a raspberry pi/DAC in each room would work if you can live with separate music in each room. Each could be controlled by any device on your network that has a browser. If you want to play the same music in each room, then you might be able to pull that off with jRiver on a bunch of pis, not sure about that though. If the rooms are close enough that you could run either SPDIF or USB to a single location, then it gets easy...

Roscoe
Post a reply