DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: December 25th, 2018, 9:43 pm 

I have cabinets and drivers. I can order the exact crossover components or slightly change it them and change the sound. You guys are the experts. That's why I am asking so I don't make the mistakes you guys have made in the past.

The easiest thing is to get those pre-made passive crossovers. 2000HZ or 2500HZ and be done with it.

Or...

Build the stock crossover and it be the same as any other pair.

Or...

Build a different crossover and change the sound (either different or worse).

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 12:44 am 
Site Admin

mix4fix wrote:
I have cabinets and drivers. I can order the exact crossover components or slightly change it them and change the sound. You guys are the experts. That's why I am asking so I don't make the mistakes you guys have made in the past.

The easiest thing is to get those pre-made passive crossovers. 2000HZ or 2500HZ and be done with it.

Or...

Or...

Go with option 2. They guy who designed these speakers probably wasn't a moron, so his design should be a good starting point. Changing the design without hearing the original leaves you in the dark because you'll never know if your changes are an improvement or a bad idea.... Once you're familiar with the original design, you'll have an idea what changes might be an improvement in YOUR system in YOUR room..

Roscoe

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 7:00 am 

I agree with Roscoe.
Once you get them up an running then try changing values or brands of components to learn how sound changes. This is a very personal journey and what’s great about it you can taylor the sound to your own likes. You do not have to conform to anybody else’s idea of what is right. This is the hobby.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 10:53 am 

Listen to Roscoe and Paul, forget about ticketing with crossovers at this time.

These are Transmission Line speakers. You will have to play around stuffing for several iterations to get the optimal performance from these speakers. Typically you try to control the cabinet resonances with stuffing. But with TL speakers, stuffing effects the amount of energy reaching the vent. So, the density stuffing and amount of stuffing determines its bass performance.

The back port is not aimed directly at the rear wall like in regular speakers. Port is aimed up with an inclined baffle which disperses the sound energy over a wide are of the rear wall, and some of the energy will travel up. So, the positioning of these speakers in relation to the back wall also effects their performance. You might also want try to place a baffle on the rear wall around 6'-7' high aiming down towards the listening position.

There is plenty to play around with these speakers. Happy journey!!

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 12:23 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
It’s time for you to start doing this stuff for yourself. It is the only way to learn. Have to stumble before you fly. The guys here are very generous with their help, but you got to start putting at least one step forward

A good point. An audio buddy relied on me for anything and everything audio DIY. I kept pushing him to learn basic electronics to get an understanding of the function of various devices and parts. Learn to read schematics with the understanding that a schematic is conceptual and not wiring diagram. Eventually he did just that -- and with some coaching he went from beginner to master scratch builder. It didn't happen overnight, but he became quite accomplished at electronics and speaker building.

None of us on this blog hit the ground running. But hey -- if you're not making mistakes you're not learning. I certainly have had my share over the decades.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 2:38 pm 

There are plenty of books out there on speaker building. Find one with good reviews and read it!

https://www.amazon.com/Designing-Buildi ... 007069429X

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 7:07 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
mix4fix wrote:

Or...

Or...

Go with option 2. They guy who designed these speakers probably wasn't a moron, so his design should be a good starting point. Changing the design without hearing the original leaves you in the dark because you'll never know if your changes are an improvement or a bad idea.... Once you're familiar with the original design, you'll have an idea what changes might be an improvement in YOUR system in YOUR room..

Roscoe

I will order the stock parts. I just want them functional. I just didn't want to keep building and replacing parts on a speaker that only has so much performance to begin with. It's not like we are going to show it off at CAF.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 8:45 am 

I wouldn't be too quick to disparage those speakers. Just because they ate Dayton Audio does not mean that they are sub par. I bet you will be surprised on how good they sound with the music you like

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 11:07 am 

Unfortunately, replacing crossover and L pad components to achieve what you want is the price you pay for a passive. I never got a passive to my liking on the first pass. If you can't deal with that you have three options:

1. Use an active crossover where you can adjust on the fly as you listen. No components to replace. That goes for both the crossover points and the individual driver levels.

2. Live with whatever components you pick on the first pass.

3. Give up DIY and go buy something at Best Buy.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 1:05 pm 

Tom I so not think you are helping Steve out. Going with dsp you asking for four amps amps for a two way plus the dsp. Let him learn the basics first

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next