DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 3:42 pm 

Four channels, two amps -

https://www.parts-express.com/smsl-sa-3 ... w--230-212

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... r--300-812

assuming you don't already have some amps. I have a minidsp hd 2x4 which you can have if you want it (Silver Spring MD).

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 4:57 pm 

Just telling him his choices. Not trying to tell him which way to go. By not describing the choices you are doing him a disservice.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 5:16 pm 

tomp wrote:
Just telling him his choices. Not trying to tell him which way to go. By not describing the choices you are doing him a disservice.

You insulted me by saying Best Buy. You could have said Magnolia (yes it is in Best Buy but it's different). More than likely, I would choose a CAF vendor for speakers. Fritz, Lorelei, Salk, etc.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 7:05 pm 

Sorry you are insulted. Years ago I got a pair of amazing Infinity book shelf speakers at very good price from Best Buy. I could have paid about 25% more from another retailer. Same speakers, better price. Where is the problem?

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 7:08 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
tomp wrote:

You insulted me by saying Best Buy. You could have said Magnolia (yes it is in Best Buy but it's different). More than likely, I would choose a CAF vendor for speakers. Fritz, Lorelei, Salk, etc.

That was rude and un-called for. If the guys here do not wish to be bothered by rendering advice then don't. I never expected a comment like that from Tom.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 7:23 pm 

tomp wrote:
Sorry you are insulted. Years ago I got a pair of amazing Infinity book shelf speakers at very good price from Best Buy. I could have paid about 25% more from another retailer. Same speakers, better price. Where is the problem?

Not saying that there isn't good budget stuff available, it just came across as slightly condescending giving the discussion. The "deal with it or leave" type response was the main problem. I would have that problem with ANY discussion.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 7:52 pm 

Steve:

I think you set the direction of this conversation with the following statement:

" I just didn't want to keep building and replacing parts on a speaker that only has so much performance to begin with."

If you don't want to experiment with replacing parts on a passive crossover until you voice it the way you want, then my suggestions are basically the only other choices that I can see. If you don't like Best Buy, (just a suggestion) you can substitute any other retailer of commercial speakers. However, voicing any speaker is very often a lot of trial and error. Ask Walt or other members how much time they spent getting their speakers to sound the way they do. If you do not want to go that route then consider my other alternatives or a commercial solution that sounds good to you from the get go.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 8:29 pm 

Steve,

Are you saying these MTMs may not sound good? They might surprise you once assembled.

I got them to hook up to the TV in the family room. Realized too late they had up firing rear vent. I have a 30 foot high ceiling and the sound from rear firing panasonic TV sounds like it is coming from a deep well. It is the nature of my room. Once I realized part sound comes to the listening room reflected back from the ceiling, I lost interest. That is why I never finished assembling them. If you have a normal ceiling, they should sound good. Many positive reviews online.

I chose to give them away to make room, you saw how my unopened boxes are lying around in the basement.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2018, 11:13 am 

tomp wrote:
Steve:

I think you set the direction of this conversation with the following statement:

" I just didn't want to keep building and replacing parts on a speaker that only has so much performance to begin with."

If you don't want to experiment with replacing parts on a passive crossover until you voice it the way you want, then my suggestions are basically the only other choices that I can see. If you don't like Best Buy, (just a suggestion) you can substitute any other retailer of commercial speakers. However, voicing any speaker is very often a lot of trial and error. Ask Walt or other members how much time they spent getting their speakers to sound the way they do. If you do not want to go that route then consider my other alternatives or a commercial solution that sounds good to you from the get go.

Time I have plenty of -- money -- not so much. That's how I got into DIY in the first place. The more you do -- the more you learn. Of course you can trial and tweak yourself into a corner with the resultant regrets. Been there and done that. The BIG lesson I learned over those many decades is to not step on the musical toes that the product had in the first place. After all the goal is to try and get a reasonable facsimile of a live event in one's listening room to enhance the enjoyment of your preferred music.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2018, 11:50 am 

Good words of wisdom Walt.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next