Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Re: Speaker cables

October 20th, 2018, 1:00 pm

I try to build some for our room.

How long should they be?

October 20th, 2018, 1:01 pm

SoundMods wrote:Actually, the 3/8-inch diameter conductor fit into the center pin of the PL-259 perfectly. The center pin with the inserted conductor sucked in the wet solder beautifully. The female PL-259 enabled me to solder pig-tails to feed through the holes in the floor to the respective amp./speaker. Since it was a panel-mount type my floor became the "panel." Should I find something even better I can terminate the un-obtanium cables with PL-259s and simply plug in. No futzing with pig-tails and terminating future pig-tails. Running the cable through the cable-tie suspenders is not my idea of fun especially with all of the crap I have in my basement, but that's the charm of this hobby. It can be work.

Actually, if you're thinking about making a pair for use at CAF, it might make more sense to not terminate the cables in PL-259/N connectors at all, and solder the pig tails directly to the cable. Oh, and just for reference, there's no "female PL-259", it's properly an SO-239...

Roscoe

October 20th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
SoundMods wrote:Actually, the 3/8-inch diameter conductor fit into the center pin of the PL-259 perfectly. The center pin with the inserted conductor sucked in the wet solder beautifully. The female PL-259 enabled me to solder pig-tails to feed through the holes in the floor to the respective amp./speaker. Since it was a panel-mount type my floor became the "panel." Should I find something even better I can terminate the un-obtanium cables with PL-259s and simply plug in. No futzing with pig-tails and terminating future pig-tails. Running the cable through the cable-tie suspenders is not my idea of fun especially with all of the crap I have in my basement, but that's the charm of this hobby. It can be work.

Actually, if you're thinking about making a pair for use at CAF, it might make more sense to not terminate the cables in PL-259/N connectors at all, and solder the pig tails directly to the cable. Oh, and just for reference, there's no "female PL-259", it's properly an SO-239...

Roscoe

I stand corrected. That's a decision I'll make if and when Gary coughs up a room.

October 20th, 2018, 1:29 pm

mix4fix wrote:I try to build some for our room.

How long should they be?

I threw together the positive of one side. About six foot with banana plugs.

I was thinking of twisting the positive and negative runs. Will that help? At the very least, I want to do it for the cosmetic purpose.

I should be done to try them out at Tube's house.

October 20th, 2018, 2:20 pm

mix4fix wrote:
mix4fix wrote:I try to build some for our room.

How long should they be?

I threw together the positive of one side. About six foot with banana plugs.

I was thinking of twisting the positive and negative runs. Will that help? At the very least, I want to do it for the cosmetic purpose.

I should be done to try them out at Tube's house.

Got one side done. Just need to dress it up.

October 20th, 2018, 5:45 pm

DIY has a room

October 20th, 2018, 5:48 pm

For next year?

October 20th, 2018, 8:40 pm

A little early to tell, might not even be a show next year

October 21st, 2018, 12:09 am

Why is that?