DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Speaker cables
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2018, 1:06 pm 

Which banana plugs do you guys use?

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
Which banana plugs do you guys use?

I found that this type gives a reliable snug connection and they are not expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20Pcs-4mm-Gold ... rk:17:pf:0

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2018, 3:20 pm 

Went to Micro Center. Found the ones with the hole in the side like I use. Had a few red but only one black. That doesn't help me much.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2018, 4:26 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
Went to Micro Center. Found the ones with the hole in the side like I use. Had a few red but only one black. That doesn't help me much.

Yes. Micro Center now has a section devoted to DIY. Not as substantial as the old Baynesville Electronics that was near here, but it beats a blank.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 9:26 am 

I use Cat 5 internally to my 15" woofers and a single strand of Cardas solid core hookup wire (23AWG) to my horns. Amp to speaker is AntiCable Improved 2.1 cables.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 11:32 am 

TubeDriver wrote:
I use Cat 5 internally to my 15" woofers and a single strand of Cardas solid core hookup wire (23AWG) to my horns. Amp to speaker is AntiCable Improved 2.1 cables.

Have you tried 12 AWG zip cord and $0.22 banana plugs? Dressed up real purty?

How about Nichrome wire? I hear it warms up the sound.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 11:46 am 

I have tried pretty basic zip cord. I have a fancy version of zipcord in the form of early Monster MCX-2. It actually sounds alright and is very flexable.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 12:08 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
I have tried pretty basic zip cord. I have a fancy version of zipcord in the form of early Monster MCX-2. It actually sounds alright and is very flexable.

I can tell right now that your zip cord is NOT allowing you to hear the capabilities of your system. I moved away from anything Monster decades ago. Before I finally got religion and installed the Andrew Heliax I used a quad-conductor cable for 20 years that I obtained from the Boeing surplus warehouse in Everett, Washington. It was similar to what is on eBay but each of the four stranded conductors were 14-gauge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-feet-22-AWG ... :rk:2:pf:0

The Kapton insulation was very thin and the cable measured like a good polycarbonate capacitor. A friend in New York took that cable from me and replaced his Kimber Cable speaker cable with the Boeing cable for a trial before committing to buying it. After a couple of hours listening to music he declared it was not even a contest. He happily bought the cables from me.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 1:47 pm 

I don't use it anymore, but I still have it in a giant box full of old cables down in my basement.

SoundMods wrote:
TubeDriver wrote:

I can tell right now that your zip cord is NOT allowing you to hear the capabilities of your system. I moved away from anything Monster decades ago. Before I finally got religion and installed the Andrew Heliax I used a quad-conductor cable for 20 years that I obtained from the Boeing surplus warehouse in Everett, Washington. It was similar to what is on eBay but each of the four stranded conductors were 14-gauge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-feet-22-AWG ... :rk:2:pf:0

The Kapton insulation was very thin and the cable measured like a good polycarbonate capacitor. A friend in New York took that cable from me and replaced his Kimber Cable speaker cable with the Boeing cable for a trial before committing to buying it. After a couple of hours listening to music he declared it was not even a contest. He happily bought the cables from me.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 6:15 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:

It was a joke. :angry-banghead: I KNOW you can hear, that you test and listen, and that if zip cord was good, you'd be using it.

How about the Nichrome? :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next