DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GROUP POLL
PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 10:58 am 

As some of you may have read, the very wise Jim G. suggested building a set (or sets) of group speakers that we could use at CAF, or even other group functions. The idea was to avoid having individual members risk their own systems, pulling them apart and sending them to the show.

To that end, Jim also suggested subs, built for durability more than appearance, and relatively light. This would allow any other group speakers we have to be even lighter and more transportable without requiring 3/4 ton trucks and wrecking old backs, since they would only need to provide flat output to ~80-100Hz. It would also allow reasonably sized horns, planars and sealed boxes to transport, store and be built.

So, to the poll:

Is this something you would like the group to do?

Is it a good idea?

Are you willing to contribute:

Money for components?

Components?

Labor? Hauling stuff around, picking up parts, etc.

Skilled labor? Woodwork, soldering, finishing, etc.?

Other thoughts, please?

Stuart

Post subject: Re: GROUP POLL
PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 11:14 am 

Are we talking a new set of speakers every year, or the same set every year? Is this related to the club speaker idea?

I though one of the reasons was to show off was to show off your actual creations or modifications?

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 11:24 am 

I think this is a great idea, particularly the subs. Relatively light weight is an excellent idea and like many of you I don't want to or even should carry heavy objects any more.

I also think that whatever sub is chosen it should be a relatively well known inexpensive design so that most of the DIY community could build it as well. The two designs I would be interested in are the following tapped horn and the bucket sub.

http://wp.volvotreter.de/projects/th-2/the-tangband-30hz-horn/

https://www.transcendentsound.com/bucket-sub.html

I would be prepared to pay for either pair of drivers but my building skills are limited and I would prefer that somebody else actually build them. And provide the amplification.

ray

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 11:30 am 

Yes for all questions.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 11:49 am 

I believe that before any plans are made for "club" systems to be constructed and demonstrated at the next CAF it would be a good idea to get a commitment in writing from Gary Gill first that he will be set aside a room for the DIY display.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 11:53 am 

ratbagp wrote:
I think this is a great idea, particularly the subs. Relatively light weight is an excellent idea and like many of you I don't want to or even should carry heavy objects any more.

I also think that whatever sub is chosen it should be a relatively well known inexpensive design so that most of the DIY community could build it as well. The two designs I would be interested in are the following tapped horn and the bucket sub.

http://wp.volvotreter.de/projects/th-2/the-tangband-30hz-horn/

https://www.transcendentsound.com/bucket-sub.html

I would be prepared to pay for either pair of drivers but my building skills are limited and I would prefer that somebody else actually build them. And provide the amplification.

ray

Not sure about the bucket sub. It's still a standard plastic five gallon drum from a home improvement store. I remember watching a YouTube video where some fly by night car audio shop jerry-rigged a truck install which included subs in buckets in a repurposed speaker box.

The small driver/transmission line works, but it isn't a complete substitute for a real sub. Along the same lines, what about a single driver full-range speaker in a transmission line?

What about the open baffle type like HAL has?

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 12:02 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
I believe that before any plans are made for "club" systems to be constructed and demonstrated at the next CAF it would be a good idea to get a commitment in writing from Gary Gill first that he will be set aside a room for the DIY display.

Whatever we do as hobby club should be independent of Gary and CAF. If we get to display at CAF, its an added bonus.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 12:12 pm 

We should probably slow down on this thread until after this year's show? :-)

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 4:14 pm 

Good idea Stu! I am willing to help out in some capacity (probably labor). As Jim noted, not sure there is the ability to do this in time for the 2018 show? Unless some folks really step up and get cracking? But certainly in the future if not now.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 5:28 pm 

Given preparation needed for the show, no doubt there won't be any building of speakers for this application. Just gathering our thoughts.

The bucket sub sure would be cheap and easy to transport. Maybe a bit too hairshirt, to steal a Dave Pogue favorite phrase.

The tapped horn looks enormous, and to me, like lots of work. Not sure how much impact a 6.5" driver would have, but who knows?

If a Sonotube sub is a possibility, I will donate any Sonotube I have. Even those already built 12" tube ones with the 8" driver. Re-routing the bottom plate, a 12" driver could fit. Someone with talent could make them look good.

I also have very thick wall 36" (!!!) and 30" Sonotube. On a more practical note, I've got about 10' each of 18" and 24" Sonotube, to donate to the cause.

I gave Joel a pair of old 12" drivers, one of which I refoamed and ended up with the voice coil rubbing. I used them in an refrigerator sized transmission line. They would produce tremendous bass, clean down to below 20Hz. If Joel would donate them, then one of the woodworkers extraordinaire in the group could cobble something up. A talented refoamer could fix my goof up.

THIS IS AN OFFER! No hurt feelings here if the group decides to go a different way. JUST AN OFFER!!!

Add it to your "options bucket".

It kind of does make sense to build group subs first, then sort out the various options for the full range speakers.

Hopefully Tom could work his magic and guide the design? Or someone else?

Stuart