DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 2:14 pm 

I have some old tubes I'd like to get tested (12AX7s and 7591s, mostly). Is there somewhere local I can have this done?

Or does someone on this board have a tester and would be willing to do some testing in exchange for a six pack of cold ones?

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Many of us have testers, where are you located?

Roscoe

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 2:35 pm 

Petworth in DC

Have car; will travel for tube testing. :auto-biker:

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 4:15 pm 

justinis wrote:
I have some old tubes I'd like to get tested (12AX7s and 7591s, mostly). Is there somewhere local I can have this done?

Or does someone on this board have a tester and would be willing to do some testing in exchange for a six pack of cold ones?

AHHH! The good old days. Going to Radio & TV repair shop or a Read's Drug Store to test or have tested suspect tubes. I'm in Parkville, MD.

Better yet maybe investing in a tube tester is a better idea. There are plenty available on eBay.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2018, 10:49 am 

SoundMods wrote:
justinis wrote:

AHHH! The good old days. Going to Radio & TV repair shop or a Read's Drug Store to test or have tested suspect tubes. I'm in Parkville, MD.

Better yet maybe investing in a tube tester is a better idea. There are plenty available on eBay.

Yes, but you don't know what you're getting. :-) A good calibrated one can run around $500. I lucked into a Hickok 532 ("This was my grandfather's, it lights up, that's all I know.") for $250. The only thing wrong with it was the AC plug, which I replaced. Everything else tested out fine. I also bought a Precision 10-12, which some think are the best testers ever made, but the meter broke in transit. I've got another one on the way as we speak.. Hopefully between the two I'll have a good working model.

The Eico 666's are cheap and reliable. As a matter of fact I have one sitting here that the OP is welcome to for shipping from Oregon. The Eicos have some known quirks but for casual testing they're perfectly fine.