A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Re: Converting Magnepan 1.7 planars to a DSP Crossover

March 28th, 2024, 8:35 pm

WOOHOO! :)

They are playing music, just without the super tweeters!

Since one super tweeter foil element is open circuit, did the DSP crossover to run as we 3-way adding the servo subs. The tweeter run 400Hz to 20KHz. Also added time alignment for the 3 planars and main panels to subs to finish it up.

Also figured out both the servo amp and the Class D amps are inverting polarity. The dspNexus 2x8 has an inverter for inputs, so just used the inverted USB setting. All drivers now in the same polarity.

First song, RUSH : 2112, that sounded very good! :)
Attachments
1_7PlayingMusic.jpg

August 11th, 2024, 7:48 am

Crazy thing happened.

Found another pair of Magnepan 1.7's with the right speaker with problems and my right speaker is good. This way I can make one good pair for cheaper than getting one repaired. :o

Not totally sure what is wrong with the one speaker, as they said it was intermittent.

Will be picking them up soon to start the conversion.

August 16th, 2024, 9:46 pm

WOOHOO!

The second pair of Magnepan 1.7's are picked up and will be home tomorrow. Now one mirror image pair is working! :)

August 18th, 2024, 5:55 pm

Magnepan 1.7 pair #2 have the silver side stiles as compared to pair #1 with the black side stiles.

Now to remove the sock and passive crossover and install the replacement wiring and connector plate.
Attachments
Magnepan1_7Pair#2-1.jpg

August 20th, 2024, 9:04 am

The side stiles were removed and sock on the intermittent 1.7 had the staples pulled, so easy to pull up the sock.

This one has a break in the woofer foil that has a repair that is not holding. The bigger problem is the foil is delaminating in areas and the mylar is wrinkled. This would need a complete rebuild, so putting it aside.

I looked through the sock with a light on the working speaker and see a bit of the same foil delamination problem, but no wrinkles in the mylar. Once I remove the side stiles and staples, will be time to see if some glue cleaning and reapplication will fix the areas of problems.
Attachments
Bad1_7Pair#2.jpg
Post a reply